Steven Wallace – 767 Trouble – Terminal Crash – Dash-8 – Middle East Violence – Stolen Jade – Police Station Fire –
Drinking ID – More Budget Flights – Picket Line Death – Academic Staff – Indonesian Crisis – Global Warming – Northland
- STEVEN WALLACE: The laywer for the police officer who shot Waitara man Steven Wallace has requested the Coroner’s
Court delay the inquest into the shooting because of the possibility of a private prosecution.
- 767 TROUBLE: It has been revealed that Boeing 767s on both sides of the Tasman had problems with their wings over the
- TERMINAL CRASH: An investigation is continuing at United Airlines after one of its planes smashed into a terminal
building at Auckland airport while being pulled onto the runway.
- DASH-8: The defence has opened its case in the trial of Ansett Dash-8 pilot Gary Sutheran, who faces four charges of
manslaughter over the crashing of the Dash-8 he was piloting on approach to Palmerston North airport.
- MIDDLE EAST VIOLENCE: The International commission investigating the origins of the Middle East violence over the past
seven months has called for an end to the violence and a return to peace talks, as Israel defends its deployment of F16
fighter jets too bomb Palestinian areas in retaliation for a Palestinian suicide bombing.
- STOLEN JADE: Customs and airport security around the country are on alert after valuable jade artworks were stolen
from a shop in Queenstown.
- POLICE STATION FIRE: Police and fire investigators are combing the burned out remains of a community police station in
Hamilton. Police believe it was arson.
- DRINKING ID: A leading alcohol researcher says all drinkers should carry some form of ID to prove their age.
- MORE BUDGET FLIGHTS: Freedom Air says it is extending its domestic services to meet huge demand.
- PICKET LINE DEATH: The High Court trial of the man accused of causing the death of a woman on a picket line at the
Port of Lyttleton in December 1999 has begun.
- ACADEMIC STAFF: New Zealand’s Universities have lost at least 600 academic staff over the past 10 years.
- INDONESIAN CRISIS: Indonesia’s political crisis appears to be deepening amid claims President Wahid is about to
declare marshal law.
- GLOBAL WARMING: UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has spoken out again about global warning and the concern other
countries are feeling about the Bush administration’s energy policy.
- NORTHLAND GRANT: The Government has announced $700,000 worth of grants for regional development in Northland.