INDEPENDENT NEWS

Impact Of APEC On Auckland Extended

Published: Mon 6 Sep 1999 03:48 PM
Auckland City Council - City Scene
The organisers of next week's APEC Leaders' Meeting have warned Aucklanders to prepare for a longer than expected impact on city traffic. The APEC Task Force says many of the visiting leaders have indicated they will now leave Auckland on Tuesday 14 September, not Monday 13 September, as previously thought.
The Tuesday departures could mean further disruption to Auckland traffic, says the task force, though it will not be as great as on the previous three days. On Tuesday the southbound lane of the Southern Motorway is likely to be affected, together with the main alternative airport route through Gillies Avenue and Pah Road.
APEC organisers and police say Aucklanders should carefully plan their travel on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday when some central city streets will be fully closed to public traffic. These streets will still re-open on Monday evening.
Aucklanders are also urged to use the special 0800 APEC 99 (0800 273299) telephone line for regularly updated reports on traffic during APEC. Auckland radio stations will also broadcast frequent traffic reports. People travelling to the airport should pay particular attention to these reports.

Next in New Zealand politics

Transformative Investment In Cancer Treatments And More New Medicines
By: New Zealand Government
Govt Choosing Cost Savings Over Victims Of Family Violence
By: New Zealand Labour Party
School Attendance Increases
By: New Zealand Government
EDS Applauds Select Committee Report Confirming Hauraki Gulf Marine Protection
By: Environmental Defence Society
Nicola Willis Challenged Over Climate Change, Cancer Drugs
By: RNZ
Record Investment In Public Transport Services
By: New Zealand Government
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media