INDEPENDENT NEWS

UN Security Staff Killed In Gaza; Guterres Calls For Probe

Published: Tue 14 May 2024 05:31 AM
Condemning all attacks on UN personnel, Secretary-General António Guterres has called for a full investigation, his deputy spokesperson, Farhan Haq, told journalists in New York.
“With the conflict in Gaza continuing to take a heavy toll – not only on civilians, but also on humanitarian workers – the Secretary-General reiterates his urgent appeal for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire and for the release of all hostages,” he said.
Questioned by journalists, Mr. Haq said that the UN was still gathering information on the incident. He later confirmed that the security personnel killed was an international staff member, marking the first such UN death in the Gaza conflict.
Earlier on Monday, UN Palestine refugee agency UNRWA reported that another of its staff members had been killed, bringing the total number to 189.
The 53-year-old senior projects officer was believed to have died in an Israeli strike in the central town of Deir Al Balah, after leaving Rafah.
More to follow

Next in World

Three Lessons I Learned On My Visit To Cuba
By: Globetrotter
As H5N1 And Mpox Raise Alarm, Leaders Are Gambling Through Neglect Of Pandemic Preparedness
By: The Independent Panel
Facing A Surge In Wildfires, The U.S. Government Turned To Native Wisdom And Advanced Archaeology
By: Human Bridges
Macron's 'Dialogue Mission' Takes A Break From Unrest-ridden New Caledonia
By: RNZ
PNG Opposition Outwitted By The Government Again
By: RNZ
New Zealand Joins Global Initiative To Enhance Uptake Of Biological Controls
By: Plant and Food Research
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media