INDEPENDENT NEWS

Australia must tackle refugee crisis in Nauru

Published: Thu 6 Sep 2018 02:27 PM
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
PRESS RELEASE
6 September 2018
Pacific Islands Forum: Australia must tackle refugee crisis in Nauru as regional summit closes
The Australian government must urgently evacuate the 107 refugee children and their families trapped in appalling conditions in Nauru, or else accept New Zealand’s offer to provide safe haven, said Amnesty International, as the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) comes to a close in Nauru today.
The four-day meeting, which brought together leaders from across the region, comprehensively failed to address the needs of refugees, with the approved draft Forum Communiqué featuring no mention of an improved, human rights-oriented approach to refugee policy.
“The dire situation for refugees and asylum-seekers in Nauru requires urgent action and the Australian government can still uphold its responsibility by evacuating them to Australia,” said Roshika Deo, Amnesty International’s Pacific Researcher.
“However, if Australia refuses to change course, it must not stand in the way of others who are willing to offer these people the protection they so desperately need. New Zealand’s Prime Minister this week reaffirmed a longstanding offer to take in 150 refugees per year from Manus Island and Nauru - Australia must facilitate, and not obstruct this process.”
Amnesty International is also dismayed that Pacific Leaders failed to address Australia’s cruel and abusive refugee policy at the forum meeting. An open letter co-signed by Amnesty International and more than 90 other civil society organisations last week called on PIF leaders to prioritise the escalating health crisis for refugee children on Nauru and demanded an end to the shameful policy.
“The Pacific Islands Forum was an opportunity for leaders in the region to say enough is enough and show that they would no longer stand by while the Australian Government’s abusive policies continue to risk more lives,” said Roshika Deo.
“This chance has been completely squandered. Instead we saw the Government of Nauru release despicable claims about the nature of the reported self-harm by children and the detention of a New Zealand journalist for speaking with a refugee.”
On Saturday Nauru’s President, Baron Waqa, claimed during a TV interview that children were being pushed into self-harming by their families and refugee advocates, saying: "It's the way of working the system, probably short-circuiting it, just to get to Australia." This was followed by the detention of TV New Zealand journalist Barbara Dreaver by Nauruan police on Tuesday after she interviewed a refugee.
**ENDS

Next in World

Gordon Campbell on collective punishment in Venezuela
By: Gordon Campbell
40,000 Dead Venezuelans Under US Sanctions: Media Ignores
By: Media Lens
Gordon Campbell on the left-wing victory in Spain
By: Gordon Campbell
UN, world leaders condemn Sri Lanka attacks
By: UN News
Trump Has Murdered Over 40,000 Venezuelans With Sanctions
By: Caitlin Johnstone
Sri Lanka blasts: Vigil, letter of support from NZ
By: RNZ
Sri Lanka attack 'devastating' - Grant Robertson
By: RNZ
Prime Minister sends condolences to Sri Lanka
By: New Zealand Government
Lethal Bungling: Sri Lanka’s Easter Bombings
By: Binoy Kampmark
Waitakere Indian Association statement on Sri Lanka
By: Waitakere Indian Association
Condolences to our brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka
By: Islamic Women's Council of New Zealand
Sri Lanka - Terrorist Attack
By: Jewish Council
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media