INDEPENDENT NEWS

Kiribati authorities confirm more than 80 on sunken ferry

Published: Wed 31 Jan 2018 01:09 PM
Kiribati authorities confirm more than 80 on sunken ferry
31 January 2018 (12:55pm)
Kiribati authorities have confirmed that about 80 passengers plus crew of likely about five were on the ferry Butiraoi that sank on January 18.
Seven survivors were rescued on January 28 and the search continues for a life raft that was launched from the sinking ferry. The life raft is designed for 25 people but more can be squeezed in uncomfortably.
Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) is supporting RCC Nadi in Fiji, which is leading the search, and the Kiribati authorities. Kiribati is in Fiji’s search and rescue area.
RCCNZ Watch Leader, Neville Blakemore, said an RNZAF P-3 Orion had been searching for four days and its crew are resting today and doing any necessary work on the aircraft.
Mr Blakemore said three further aircraft, from the RAAF, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and the United States Coast Guard, joined the search more recently and are continuing today.

Next in World

"Systemic Murder" Complaint Filed To ICC Over Gaza Killings
By: Alastair Thompson
Reject Trump’s threat to affordable medicines through TPP
By: AFTINET
Gordon Campbell on nine Trump lies about the Iran deal
By: Gordon Campbell
On hostility against journalists & Israel’s lies about Iran
By: Gordon Campbell
Gazan Gandhis: Gaza Bleeds Alone
By: Ramzy Baroud
North Korea
By: Steve Bolton
Budget strengthens trade effort
By: New Zealand Government
Thousands of Kiwis will benefit from advances in treatment
By: PHARMAC
Iran deal represents ‘significant verification gain’
By: United Nations
Statement by the Secretary-General on Iran
By: United Nations
Withdrawal Symptoms: Trump and the Iran Nuclear Deal
By: Binoy Kampmark
Planning for Aggression: Netanyahu’s Nuclear Archive
By: Binoy Kampmark
Trump's Iran threat 'pretty concerning' for NZ exporters
By: RNZ
US withdrawal won't impact Iranians, expert says
By: RNZ
NZ dollar falls - Trump's Iran deal withdrawal
By: BusinessDesk
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media