WikiLeaks cable: EAC meet Wellington after London bombings
8 July, 2005 SUBJECT: EAC MEETING WELLINGTON
This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
Classified By: David R.Burnett, DCM, Reason 1.4 (c)
1. (S) The Emergency Action Committee convened 1400 hrs local time on July 8, 2005 to discuss security profile in light of the London explosions. Embassies Wellington and Apia were notified of the London explosions by the RSO in Canberra via RMAS.
2. (U) Embassy Wellington has put the Local Guard Force and Surveillance Detection team at heightened alert. Embassy staff was also reminded to vary their routes and to report any suspicious activity to the RSO's office. Post was informed by host government that local police have been place on increased visibility status. Embassy Wellington sent condolences to the British High Commission.
3. (U) Embassy Wellington also discussed heightening security measures with Consulate General Auckland. Consul General met with the local guard force and SD team and encouraged them raise their security vigilance in light of the bombings in London. Consulate General staff was also reminded of personal security policies and asked to take appropriate security steps if confronted with suspicious activity. Consulate General Auckland sent condolences to the British Consulate in Auckland.
4. (U) Embassy Wellington discussed current security levels with Embassy Apia. Charge Apia met with Embassy staff and also spoke with Peace Corps Director regarding the bombings in London. Charge also spoke with members of the American community in Samoa. Local Guards were asked to increase their vigilance.
5. (SBU) EAC Wellington considers our existing security procedures meets or exceeds the standards for the threat levels in this region.