Ban Sends Report On Deadly Guinean Crackdown To Security Council
New York, Dec 19 2009 11:10AM The Government of Guinea must "break definitively with the violence" that marked its crackdown on unarmed protesters in late September, when at least 150 civilians were killed, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Mr. Ban said he has transmitted the report of the International Commission of Inquiry on the deadly crackdown to the Government as well as to the Security Council, the African Union (AU) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
That commission, an independent probe set up by Mr. Ban, is tasked with examining the events of 28 September, when armed forces opened fire on demonstrators in the Guinean capital, Conakry. Aside from the death toll, countless other protesters were raped or attacked by members of the country''s armed forces.
"The Secretary-General takes this opportunity to remind the Government of Guinea of its obligation to protect victims and witnesses, including those who cooperated with the Commission," his statement said.
"He also underscores the imperative need for the Government of Guinea to seize this opportunity to break definitively with the violence that characterized the tragic events of 28 September."
The commission visited Conakry between 15 November and 4 December and sent its report to Mr. Ban earlier this week. Its members are Mohamed Bedjaoui, Francoise Ngendahayo Kayiramirwa and Pramila Patten.