Rocket Lab Testing Update 24 May 2017
Rocket Lab scrubs test launch attempt from Launch Complex 1
Rocket Lab, an American-New Zealand aerospace company, has postponed the test launch of its Electron vehicle today due
to weather conditions. The planned launch attempt will now take place on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Peter Beck, CEO and founder of Rocket Lab, says poor weather is delaying the launch attempt of Rocket Lab’s first test
rocket titled ‘It’s a Test’.
“Similar to yesterday, high altitude cloud created a risk of triboelectrification. Our team were able to fuel the
vehicle and prepare it for flight, but worsening weather conditions meant we were forced to delay. We’ll have another go
tomorrow. The team did a great job today, and our operations are running smoothly.
“We were targeting a 2pm launch where there was a window clear of triboelectrification, but a front quickly moved up the
country and closed the window of opportunity to launch.
“We have weather scientists on site who advise us in real time about changing conditions, as well as using weather
balloons and satellite data to assess if launch criteria is met.
“We’d like to thank local residents, supporters and emergency services for their patience.
“Because this is a test launch, our weather constraints are more restrictive than they will be during commercial
operations. We are focussed on the best possible weather conditions for launch. This is so we can focus on testing the
rocket as a priority, rather than its ability to deal with adverse weather conditions.
“Safety is Rocket Lab’s number one priority and we are following guidelines set by the FAA and NASA around weather and
During the test phase, it’s common for planned launches to be postponed to ensure ideal conditions. The launch attempt
will now occur on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
For updates from Rocket Lab, follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/RocketLabUSA