INDEPENDENT NEWS

Death of Jamal Khashoggi

Published: Sun 21 Oct 2018 03:10 PM
21 October 2018
MEDIA STATEMENT
Death of Jamal Khashoggi
Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters and Minister Trade and Export Growth David Parker say the New Zealand government continues to condemn in the strongest possible terms the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi operatives.
The death of the prominent journalist in the Turkish Consulate General in Istanbul has now been officially confirmed by the Saudi Arabian government. Saudi authorities have arrested 18 Saudi nationals and have dismissed several senior officials following an initial investigation of the Khashoggi case.
“With the confirmation of the death we express our deepest condolences to Mr Khashoggi’s family and friends. Those responsible for his death must be held accountable,” said Mr Peters.
“While this is an important admission, the killing by government operatives is deeply disturbing. Many questions remain unanswered.”
“We look forward to the results of the investigation being led by Turkey and we urge Saudi Arabia to implement its undertaking to participate openly and transparently in that investigation,” he said.
MFAT officials met with the Saudi Embassy in Wellington on Tuesday to raise New Zealand’s concerns over Mr Khashoggi’s disappearance and have reiterated to the Saudi Embassy the need for the investigation to be full and transparent.
Trade Minister David Parker says as previously noted no New Zealand officials will attend the upcoming Future Investment Initiative ('Davos in the Desert') event in Riyadh.
“As for the trading relationship in the region the FTA talks remain stalled pending the Gulf Cooperation Council resolving their dispute with Qatar, which we do not expected to be resolved in the near future,” said Mr Parker.
“And the widely criticised Saudi sheep deal was an arrangement made by the previous government with a private sector partner, not with the Saudi Government,” he said.
The New Zealand government is awaiting the outcome of the Turkish investigation and is keeping all options for next steps under review.

Next in New Zealand politics

Top academics call on government to take climate action
By: UNITEC
New plan for high quality early learning
By: New Zealand Government
Two years’ progress since the Kaikoura earthquake
By: Marlborough District Council
Pike River Mine Drift re-entry plan to proceed
By: New Zealand Government
New High Commissioner to Australia announced
By: New Zealand Government
Dame Silvia Cartwright to lead public inquiry into EQC
By: New Zealand Government
Water rationing in Hawke's Bay as some rivers run dry
By: RNZ
PM pretends climate change isn’t a global issue
By: ACT New Zealand
Minister's Door Closed on Waste-to-Energy Plants
By: Social Credit
Questions remain over Government’s ECE plan
By: New Zealand National Party
Concerned education unions consider joint action
By: NZEI
Education unions' combined executives to meet
By: NZEI
Ministry of Education offers $10,000 to most teachers
By: Ministry of Education
Kaikōura property owners in limbo two years after quake
By: RNZ
Earthquake scenario to practise emergency response
By: Greater Wellington Regional Council
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media