INDEPENDENT NEWS

NPS on Urban Development agreed as building boom continues

Published: Mon 31 Oct 2016 03:24 PM
Hon Dr Nick Smith
Minister for the Environment
Minister for Building and Housing
31 October 2016
NPS on Urban Development agreed as building boom continues
The Government has signed off on a National Policy to ensure councils in rapidly growing urban areas provide enough land for new housing and business development, Environment Minister Dr Nick Smith says.
“The National Policy Statement on Urban Development Capacity (NPS-UDC) requires councils to allow for a greater supply of houses, so prices rise more slowly and houses are more affordable. The long-term root cause of New Zealand’s housing affordability problems is insufficient land supply, especially in Auckland where median section prices increased 350 per cent from 1990 to now; building costs increased only 78 per cent during the same time.
“The NPS-UDC will require councils to base their decisions on better information, including house prices in their areas. It is also a powerful lever for those seeking additional residential zoning from councils in that they can appeal council decisions to the Environment Court on the basis the council is not meeting supply requirements,” Dr Smith says.
The NPS-UDC takes effect on 1 December and the biggest councils experiencing high growth will be most affected, including Auckland, Christchurch, Tauranga and Hamilton. Smaller, fast-growing cities such as Nelson and Queenstown will also be affected.
“It also requires local authorities and infrastructure providers to better co-ordinate the provision of services needed to support housing and business growth,” Dr Smith says.
“This Urban Development NPS has been delivered in less than nine months – far less than the standard time of three years. This reflects the importance of action on housing and the increased emphasis on the use of national Resource Management Act (RMA) tools. It sits alongside the new Unitary Plan and the Government’s RMA reforms to address the core issue of increasing land supply.
“Today we’ve also seen building consents figures which show we’re in the midst of the longest and strongest building boom on record, with the total value of building work for the year to September 2016 hitting $18.7 billion.
“Nationally 29,935 residential building consents were issued for the year to September – an increase of 122 per cent compared with five years ago. In Auckland 9960 consents were issued, up 186 per cent on five years ago.
“It is particularly encouraging that construction work in Auckland has grown 36 per cent in the past year, to $7.2 billion.
“Just last week we announced a heads of agreement on a 104-dwelling development at New North Road in Mt Albert and turned the first sod at a 196-dwelling development in Massey East, both of which are part of our Crown Land Housing Programme. I also turned the first sod at a 1350-dwelling development in a Special Housing Area at Drury.
“This Government is step by step, development by development, getting on and addressing Auckland’s housing challenges.”
ends

Next in New Zealand politics

Children’s Commissioner to conduct review
By: Office of the Children's Commissioner
ACT: Regulatory Constitution will improve quality of law
By: ACT New Zealand
Revised offer for teachers and principals
By: New Zealand Government
National supporting primary sector growth
By: New Zealand National Party
On the war purposes of our massive defence spend-up
By: Gordon Campbell
Government supports collective bargaining for film and screen
By: New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
Tova interviews Tanya Sammons, Tyrone Marks, Aaron Smale
By: Newshub Nation
PM's Post-Cab 17 June 19: Farmers and Families
By: The Scoop Team
Oranga Tamariki Review
By: New Zealand Government
Independent Panel’s Report on Family Justice System welcomed
By: New Zealand Government
ANZASW statement on uplifts
By: Aotearoa NZ Association of Social Workers
National Maori Authority response to Oranga Tamariki
By: Maori Council
Whanau First continues call for Royal Commission of Inquiry
By: Whanau First
Urgent call for full independent Royal Commission of Inquiry
By: Whanau First
Call for the government to ‘stop stealing Māori children’
By: Hands Off Our Tamariki
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media