Housing assistance for red zone residents

Published: Wed 3 Aug 2011 11:35 AM
Housing assistance for red zone residents
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee and Social Development and Employment Minister Paula Bennett have announced that temporary accommodation assistance is available for Cantabrians in the residential red zone.
From today Temporary Accommodation Assistance (TAA) will be available for Christchurch residents who own homes within the residential red zone.
"This will help earthquake-affected residents who've had to move out of their own home and have extra accommodation costs to cover," says Mr Brownlee.
"We understand that reaching final settlement on red zone homes will take time, so extending Temporary Accommodation Assistance to include those residents is the right thing to do," says Ms Bennett.
"This extension applies to residents who want to stay in the city but whose homes in the red zone can't be rebuilt or won't be repaired," says Mr Brownlee.
TAA is open to Red Zone residents who can't live in their own home, have exhausted insurance cover but are still waiting for either the government or insurance settlement for their home.
The Ministry for Social Development and Employment is working with the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (CERA) on rebuilding greater Christchurch and its surrounds, and supporting the welfare of its residents. For more information visit

Next in New Zealand politics

NZDF’s Red Sea Deployment Extended
By: New Zealand Government
Govt’s ‘climate Strategy’ As Useful As Teats On A Bull, Says Greenpeace
By: Greenpeace New Zealand
NZers Must Step Up To Protect Vital Cook Strait Rail Connection
By: The Future Is Rail
Govt Determined To Make Aotearoa A Country Of Disposable Renters.
By: Te Pati Maori
Statement From Labour Climate Change Spokesperson Megan Woods
By: New Zealand Labour Party
Science Under Threat - New Report Reveals Damaging Impact Of Govt’s Deep Cuts
By: Save Science
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media