17 July 2008
Labour Restates Student Allowances Policy
Tertiary Education Minister Pete Hodgson said today he wanted to restate that Labour’s position on student allowances
was to move progressively over a period of time towards a universal student allowance but not go directly to one.
He said earlier this year he asked officials to cost a universal student allowance as he knew students would ask for
this in the lead up to the Budget.
“This is the situation, that Labour’s oft stated policy remains one of moving progressively towards a universal student
allowance rather than directly to one.”
He said that of all the students who would receive an allowance, should it be made universal, 57% are already receiving
Those receiving 2008 Sustained Excellence Awards are:
- Dr Hamish Anderson, Department of Economics and Finance, Massey University.
- Julia Bruce, Hairdressing Tutor, Centre for Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy, Wintec.
- Dr Dawn Garbett, Associate Dean Teaching and Learning, Faculty of Education, University of Auckland.
- Professor John Hosking, Professor of Applied Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, University of Auckland.
- Dr Ian McAndrew, Senior Lecturer in Employment Relations, Department of Management, School of Business, University of
- Dr John Reynolds, Senior Lecturer, Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, University of Otago.
- Dr Sean Waver, School of Geography, Environment and Earth Science at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Dr Marc Wilson, School of Psychology, Victoria University of Wellington
- Adrian Woodhouse, Catering Lecturer, Otago Polytechnic.