Greens Trampled – Singapore Trade Agreement – Mob Compensation – Olympic Drug Tests – Kiwi Flag Bearer – Tourist Escapes
- GREENS TRAMPLED: Green MPs Sue Bradford and Nandor Tanczos were hurt in day of violence at the World Economic Forum in
Melbourne. Journalists, as well as protesters, were hurt in the melee. The police strategy was to hit hard early with
superior numbers, breaking the protesters line and allowing delegates into the Crown Casino. As soon as the police
backed off the protestors moved back, trapping delegates inside. Michael Cullen decided not to make his scheduled
appearance today, after being warned he may not be able to get out of the Casino. Unionists joined the protesters today.
- SINGAPORE TRADE AGREEMENT: The Singapore Trade Agreement is on the brink of collapse, as Jenny Shipley said her party
would not support the deal. Labour needs National support after the Alliance decided not to support Labour on the
agreement. National will not support the deal because of a Treaty of Waitangi clause in it, even though they included
similar clauses in agreements when they were in power.
- MOB COMPENSATION: ACT claims the four Mongrel Mob members awarded compensation for abuse from prison officers received
more than ¼ of a million dollars.
- OLYMPIC DRUG TESTS: It is three days till the Sydney Olympics and the IOC is facing more drug criticism. The tests for
EPO have been called inadequate by Australian scientists, who say the opportunity for a really clean Olympics has been
- KIWI FLAG-BEARER: Who will carry NZ flag at the Olympics? The team boss has made his decision, but is remaining
tight-lipped until it is announced on Thursday.
- TOURIST ESCAPES AVALANCHE: An Israeli tourist says he had to run for a life from an Avalanche near Treble Cone