INDEPENDENT NEWS

Australian Troops Accused Of Torturing Militiamen

Published: Sun 26 Sep 1999 12:05 AM
The following report was carried this morning in the Jakarta English language daily the Jakarta Post. It reports an East Timorese militia commander accusing Australian peace-keepers of torturing eight militiamen in Dili East Timor.
Transcript Begins
JAKARTA (JP): Chairman of the National Commission on Human Rights Marzuki Darusman urges the Australian-led International Force for East Timor (Interfet) to be indiscriminate in its efforts to uphold human rights in East Timor.
"I want a confirmation from Interfet that they are prepared to respect everybody and ensure human rights protection for all (East Timorese), especially as efforts to uphold human rights (in the province) now rest with the Interfet," Marzuki said Saturday as quoted by Antara.
Interfet must respect the rights of all East Timorese regardless of their political aspirations, he added.
Marzuki was responding to a statement from a commander of the Integration Fighters (PPI) commander, Filomeno Antonio Britto, who said Friday that Australian troops had tortured eight PPI members identified as Lino Soares, Antoninho Soares, Marcelino de Jesus, Gregorio Soares, Matias Soares, Alberto, Domingos and Clementino, all residents of Manatuto regency.
"One of them, Clementino, was burned to death," Filomeno said in Atambua, East Nusa Tenggara.
He added that five of the victims managed to escape to Atambua while two were still missing.
Filomeno said the eight men were among a flock of refugees who packed Dili Port on their way to Atambua on Monday.
"They were unarmed and were leaving Dili to take refugee in Atambua," he said, adding that the National Council of East Timorese Resistance (CNRT) was behind the incident.
The Australian Embassy issued a written denial of the allegation on Friday, saying press reports about the incident were not true.
So far, only Indonesian media has carried stories of the alleged incident.
Transcript Ends
The Jakartapost can be read online at… http://www.thejakartapost.com/
Alastair Thompson
Scoop Publisher
Alastair Thompson is the co-founder of Scoop. He is of Scottish and Irish extraction and from Wellington, New Zealand. Alastair has 24 years experience in the media, at the Dominion, National Business Review, North & South magazine, Straight Furrow newspaper and online since 1997. He is the winner of several journalism awards for business and investigative work.
Contact Alastair Thompson
Website:
Google+:
Mobile:
021707044
Twitter:
Linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alastairlthompson
Media Contact:
021707044
Phone:
021707044
Facebook:
Postal Address:
021707044
Email:
Physical Address:
021707044

Next in Comment

Gordon Campbell on America’s ‘Green New Deal’
By: Gordon Campbell
Gordon Campbell on the Nelson fire and climate change
By: Gordon Campbell
Gordon Campbell on listening to Ocasio-Cortez about tax
By: Gordon Campbell
Gordon Campbell on the US exit from Afghanistan
By: Gordon Campbell
Gordon Campbell on our history of selling out the Kurds
By: Gordon Campbell
UPDATE: Nelson fires – Conditional re-entry for Residents
By: New Zealand Police
Tasman fires - two believed deliberately lit
By: New Zealand Police
Friday morning update from Police - Nelson fires
By: New Zealand Police
Pigeon Valley residents asked to leave their homes
By: New Zealand Police
PM's Post-Cabinet Press Conference 11/2/19: Fires Response
By: The Scoop Team
MSD support for those affected by Nelson Tasman fires
By: New Zealand Government
Business support fund sought for the Nelson fires
By: New Zealand National Party
Gov Helpline for people affected by Nelson/Tasman fires
By: Ministry of Social Development
Visits to Wakefield residents
By: New Zealand Police
UPDATE: Nelson fires – decision to extend state of emergency
By: New Zealand Police
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media