Live: SkyCity fire - Specialist workers to tackle blaze
Auckland Mayor Phil Goff says buildings and roads will still be closed today because of the NZ International Convention
Centre fire but things will start to get back to normal.
Aerial view of the roof of the International Convention Centre fire near SkyCity. Photo: Twitter/Phil Goff
The fire at the centre across from SkyCity in Auckland has been burning since about 1pm on Tuesday and firefighters are
allowing the roof to be destroyed by flames so they can get better access to the building to fight the fire. Flames are
still visible this morning and smoke is billowing out.
• The fire was contained by last night
but the roof is still smouldering.
• A number of arterial roads in the Auckland CBD still remain closed
, and several buses have been diverted or cancelled.
• Businesses say they have been badly hit
• Specialist rescue workers are being brought in to help put out the fire.
• Fire and Emergency said the plan was to "sacrifice the roof". Once materials from the roof have fallen in, crews can
go into the fifth floor and put the fire out.
• The fire broke on the roof
of the New Zealand International Convention Centre just after 1pm on Tuesday.
• The cause of the fire is not yet known.
Follow all the latest updates with our live blog:
Apologies, but some of this page's content can only be viewed on the desktop version of the site.
New Zealand's public broadcaster, providing comprehensive NZ news and current affairs, specialist audio features and documentaries.
Radio New Zealand is a Crown entity established under the Radio New Zealand Act 1995. Radio New Zealand News are vital
elements in our programming, providing impartial news and information to New Zealanders every day. Radio New Zealand
(RNZ) provides listeners with exciting and independent radio programmes in accordance with the Radio New Zealand