INDEPENDENT NEWS

Northern Marianas asks US for typhoon emergency declaration

Published: Tue 11 Sep 2018 03:46 PM
Typhoon-hit CNMI asks US for emergency declaration
The governor of the Northern Marianas has made a request to the US President to declare a state of emergency in the Commonwealth now that Typhoon Mangkhut has passed through the islands.
Ralph Torres sent the request to Donald Trump overnight as the storm passed over the island of Rota.
CNMI Governor Ralph Torres Photo: CNMI Govt
Mr Torres said the heightened and erratic state of the storm threatened destruction and the impact could become catastrophic.
The statement said the worst conditions from Typhoon Mangkhut had passed but windshield assessments indicated significant damage on Rota and some damage on the islands of Saipan and Tinian.
The governor said the storm was of such severity and magnitude that an effective response was beyond the capabilities of the CNMI government and federal assistance was needed to save lives and protect property, health and safety.
Rota bore the brunt of Typhoon Mangkhut with the storm dumping up to 255mm of rain and winds of over 223 kilometres an hour hitting the CNMI's southern most island.
Over 600 people reportedly sought shelter in evacuation centres during the storm.
Government offices remain closed today.
Typhoon Warnings cancelled
With weather conditions rapidly improving across the CNMI and Guam, the National Weather Service has lifted typhoon warnings as the storm continues westward and away from the islands.
The service said tropical storm force conditions were no longer expected and the Typhoon Warnings for Guam, Rota, Tinian and Saipan had been canceled.
However lingering isolated showers, thunderstorms and breezy conditions were still expected throughout the day and the seas and surf remained hazardous.
Saipan experienced an island-wide power outage late yesterday and classes in public schools and Northern Marianas College remain cancelled.
Guam awakes to destruction as Typhoon passes
Residents in Guam awoke to flooding, strewn debris and downed power poles this morning after Typhoon Mangkhut passed the island.
The Pacific Daily News reported officals warning people not to go out onto the roads due to debris, loose power lines and other hazards.
Marine warnings with high surf conditions persist with people cautioned on ocean conditions until Thursday.
The power authority is working to restore outages and schools, government departments and the naval base are closed today.
The Saipan Tribune reports Rota, the southernmost island in the Northern Marianas, felt the brunt of Typhoon Mangkhut yesterday as it sliced through the region.
Over 600 people sheltered in centres overnight as the intense weather system dumped 255mm of rain and winds peaked at 223 kilometres per hour.
RNZ
New Zealand's public broadcaster, providing comprehensive NZ news and current affairs, specialist audio features and documentaries.
Radio New Zealand is a Crown entity established under the Radio New Zealand Act 1995. Radio New Zealand News are vital elements in our programming, providing impartial news and information to New Zealanders every day. Radio New Zealand (RNZ) provides listeners with exciting and independent radio programmes in accordance with the Radio New Zealand Charter.

Next in Comment

20 Years of the Scoop Information Ecosystem
By: Joseph Cederwall
Lyndon Hood: Better Analogies for National Pilfering Budget Data
By: Lyndon Hood
Were journalists 'just doing their job' in the political resignation of Metiria Turei?
By: Sean Phelan and Leon Salter
Gordon Campbell on the extradition of Julian Assange
By: Gordon Campbell
NZME hits 10,000 paying subscriber target early
By: BusinessDesk
Budget 2019 - Scoop Full Coverage
By: The Scoop Team
Julian Assange as Neuroses
By: Binoy Kampmark
The Effort to Relabel Julian Assange
By: Binoy Kampmark
Shredding Asylum: The Arrest of Julian Assange
By: Binoy Kampmark
Terms of Asylum and Distraction: Moreno’s Assange Problem
By: Binoy Kampmark
Grand Jury Efforts: Jailing Chelsea Manning
By: Binoy Kampmark
How You Can Be Certain The Charge Against Assange Is a Fraud
By: Caitlin Johnstone
10 Reasons Assange Should Walk Free
By: David Swanson
WikiLeaks Founder Charged in Computer Hacking Conspiracy
By: United States Department of Justice
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media