The Art Deco Trust has announced this morning that Art Deco Festival events scheduled for Thursday 18th February will
not go ahead and a decision will be made later today about whether or not the remaining Festival events will be
“Since Government announced three days of Covid Level 3 restrictions for Auckland and Level 2 restrictions for the rest
of New Zealand, we have been assessing whether or not Festival events scheduled from Thursday 18th to Sunday 21st
February can and should go ahead, and when we must make that decision.” said Barbara Arnott, Trust Chair.
She said there are a number of practical issues the Trust needs to consider.
“First and foremost, we are absolutely committed to the health and safety of everyone involved in the Festival, from
artists and performer to venue operators and, of course, Festival-goers and the wider community.”
“While the majority of people attending the Festival are Hawke’s Bay locals, many thousands of people make the journey
from outside the region, some from afar. We are mindful it takes visitors time and cost to get here.” she says.
“For people from Auckland and Taranaki, the decision whether or not to travel to the Festival is largely outside of
their control. However, we appreciate that many want to know whether the Festival will be going ahead in part or at all,
once they know what Covid restrictions will be in place beyond midnight Wednesday.”
Ms Arnott explained that staging the programme of events, including the associated events that are managed by other
organisers under the Festival banner, requires a huge amount of last-minute logistics.
“We need to give event organisers, caterers, venues and suppliers the certainty to go ahead with all the logistics for
nearly 300 individual events. This includes everything from catering, putting up marquees, installing sound and
lighting, and putting in place everything else required in each event location. Many of the talented people who perform
at Festival events need to travel to get here too.”
“With all of these considerations in mind, we have made the immediate decision to cancel the events scheduled for
Thursday 18th February.”
These include:Paint the Poster – 9amPar 2 Mini Golf – 9amArt Deco Vintage Car Tours – 9am, 10.30am, 12.00pm, 2.00pm, 3.30pm, 5pmWalking Tours of the Art Deco Quarter – 9am & 3.30pm1930s Escape Room and Self Guided Walk – 9.30am 11am, 12.30pm, 2.00pm, 3.30pm, 5pm, 6.30pmCollectors Paradise TourDeep in the Art of DecoPromenading - A History of the Marine ParadeClub Tour & Tea - 10amJunior Gatsby Picnic - 10amAntique & Collectables Fair 10amHastings City Art Deco Market - 10amArt Deco Homes Tour - 10amDeco Bus Tours 10am, 1.30pmChildrens 'CAN-do Deco' Art Exhibition - 10amPort o Call Deco High Tea - 10.30am , 12.30pm, 2.30pmFashion Retailers Art Deco Walking Tour - 10.30am & 2.00pmStyle Speaker Series- 3pmAlice in Wonderland - 1pm, 1.40pm, 2.10pm, 2.50pm, 3.30pm, 4.10pmFly DC-3 - Low & Slow to Deco - 10.30amNapier City Centre Earthquake Tour - 10.47amAt the Pictures - Ninotchka - 1.30pm & 6.00pmHastings Art Deco & Earthquake Walk - 1.30pmArgentine Tango Class - 2.00pmAt the Pictures - Top Hat - 3.50pm & 8.15pmFestival Garden Bar - 4pmNot so Common Deco - 4pmVintage Rail Car Shuttle - Napier-Hastings Market -Napier - 4pm, 5pm & 6pmGintrap Deco Sundowner - 5pmHastings Vintage Car Show & Shine - 5pmArt Deco Fashion Flaunt Hastings - 5.30pmHakui Hakoro Fashion Parade - 5.30pmJazz & Bubbles on the Lawn - 6.30pmIt's De-loverly - 6.30pmProhibition Casino - 7pmJazz Nights at the Cabana - 7pmHastings Warbirds Flyover - 7pmSazio Malevo Dinner - 7pmStars & Starlets Ball - 7pmLady Larisa & Band Honeychild - 7.30pmRepertory Players - Threads of Life - 7.30pmFrankestein & Friends - 7.30pmProhibition Pop-Up - 9.00pmDown Argentine Way - 9.45pm
Ms Arnott advised that for events scheduled from Friday to Sunday, the Trust is waiting on the update from Government at
“After that, we need to decide whether or not the Festival events scheduled for Friday to Sunday will go ahead and we
will advise everyone of our decision as soon as we can.”
“We know how much it means to so many people, from Festivalgoers to our associated event organisers who have worked so
hard in planning for the Festival this year, and to our loyal sponsors and supporters. We are deeply disappointed that
we have had to cancel so many events already and may need to cancel the remainder of the Festival.”
“Whatever our decision on the Friday to Sunday events, it is important people understand we will be making it with the
best interests of Festivalgoers, everyone involved in making it happen and our Hawke’s Bay community at heart.”
“We are hopeful there is clear direction from Government later today. But regardless, we need to make a final decision
today, and we feel a heavy responsibility to make the right decision for the Festival and for all New Zealand in these
Once the decision is made later today, ticket-holders will be advised the process from here.
“In the meantime, we appreciate your patience, and ask that you don’t email or phone us with your individual queries.
Our small team is working hard to manage the situation we are all in, and we will be in touch with you once we have more
information to give you.” Ms Arnott concluded.