INDEPENDENT NEWS

Fonterra expects FY loss of up to $675m

Published: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:05 PM
Fonterra says it won't pay a dividend this year; expects FY loss of up to $675m
By Rebecca Howard
Aug. 12 (BusinessDesk) - Fonterra Cooperative Group said it expects to report a full-year loss of $590 million to $675 million and that it won't pay a dividend as it slashes the carrying value of assets around the world.
Chair John Monaghan said in light of the significant write-downs "we have made the call to not pay a dividend for FY19," for the year ending July 31. While the underlying performance is in line with the latest earnings guidance, "we cannot ignore the reported loss," he said.
Fonterra reported its first net loss attributable to shareholders of $221 million in the July 2018 year, and paid annual dividends of 10 cents per share.
Chief executive Miles Hurrell said after a full review of the business over the past year, "it has become clear that Fonterra needs to reduce the carrying value of several of its assets and take account of other one-off accounting adjustments, which total approximately $820 million to $860 million."
He said while the FY19 underlying earnings are within current guidance of 10-15 cents per share. However, "when you take into consideration these likely write-downs, we expect to make a reported loss of $590-$675 million this year, which is a 37 to 42 cent loss per share."
Units of the Fonterra Shareholders' Fund and the farmer-owned Fonterra shares both closed at $3.76 on Friday, and have dropped 19 percent so far this year.
Regarding the specific write-downs, Hurrell said DPA Brazil will be impaired by approximately $200 million due to economic conditions in Brazil. The carrying value of the China Farms will be impaired by approximately $200 million due to the slower than expected operating performance.
In the New Zealand consumer business, the combined impact of operational challenges and a slower than planned recovery in market share means a write-down of approximately $200 million. In Australia, a one-off impact of approximately $70 million includes the previously announced $50 million on the soon-to-be shuttered Dennington factory.
(BusinessDesk)
ends
BusinessDesk
Independent, Trustworthy New Zealand Business News
The Wellington-based BusinessDesk team provides a daily news feed for a serious business audience.
Contact BusinessDesk
Email:

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

Funding For R&D; In New Zealand – Expert Reaction
By: Science Media Centre
COVID-19: NZ Joins Global Initiative Keeping Ports Open And Freight Moving
By: Maritime New Zealand
National Backs Businesses With $10k JobStart
By: New Zealand National Party
Government Exempts Some Home Improvements From Costly Consents
By: New Zealand Government
The New Zealand Herald Named Newspaper Of The Year, Website Of The Year At Voyager Media Awards
By: New Zealand Media and Entertainment
ASB Takes The Lead Again With New Low Home Loan Interest Rate
By: ASB Bank
The Problems With Testing And Case Statistics For Covid-19
By: Nathan Hoturoa Gray
Fletcher Building to lay off 1000 staff in New Zealand
By: RNZ
Driving prompt payments to small businesses
By: New Zealand Government
On Why We Should Legally Protect The Right To Work From Home
By: Gordon Campbell
Supporting Kiwi businesses to resolve rent disputes
By: New Zealand Government
Understanding 5G Concerns – Expert Q&A;
By: Science Media Centre
Record Monthly Surplus As Imports Dive
By: Statistics New Zealand
Bar reopening night 'much, much quieter'
By: RNZ
New Zealand’s population passes 5 million
By: Statistics New Zealand
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media