INDEPENDENT NEWS

Scientist Invited to Play a Greater Role in Public Forum

Published: Wed 5 Dec 2018 05:15 PM
MEDIA RELEASE
05 December 2018
Scientist Invited to Play a Greater Role in the Public Form of Ideas
• This would help offset the popularist one-liners and ill-informed slogans
Scientists are being invited to play a greater role as informers and moderators in the public forum of ideas and debates about the environment and agriculture.
Speaking at a conference of soil scientist in Napier today, Hawke’s Bay farmer and former AgResearch chairman Sam Robinson said in a world where there was tension between farmers and the wider community, scientists could play a very constructive role in explaining what is realistic and practical.
He said public opinion was too often swayed by popularist one-liners and ill-informed slogans, sometimes misleading the public about the genuine efforts of farmers.
“We live in a world where proper debate has been cleverly undermined or superseded by catchy slogans and purely emotional campaigns; and this is a very hard “tide’ to swim against.
“It appears people don’t want to be bothered with the facts, discussion, or sound arguments… but they’ll accept glib conclusions.
“So, it has never been more important for the science community to confront these false prophets in our society; and to find a way of communicating that resonates with people through the channels to which they are tuned.”
Robinson said that since the industrial revolution society has become organised so that about 1% of the population produce the food for the other 99%.
‘This 99% are removed from farms, often by large distances, and the reality now is that the 99% reserve the right to tell the 1% how things should be done; and express their horror and surprise when practices are not as they imagine or expect.
“On the whole, farmers are conscious of the demands of the 99%’s expectations and have been quietly and diligently making improvements.
“Soils are the nexus between agricultural production and the environment and in an era of nutrient plans, ETS obligations, higher standards and new government policies, soil scientists have a role to play in explaining what is a realistic and practical time in which to expect improvements to occur.
“They could also help raise awareness of the progress that has been achieved over this time in terms of environmental mitigation, such as the majority of farmers who have fenced off thousands of kilometres of streams and rivers.”
ENDS

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

Next steps for Auckland light rail
By: New Zealand Government
Gender pay gap unchanged since 2017
By: Statistics New Zealand
Stuff pulls pin on media companies' joint ad-buying business
By: BusinessDesk
Transdev to Acquire Auckland And Wellington Bus Businesses
By: Transdev
Twyford's choice: NZTA or Super Fund for Auckland light rail
By: BusinessDesk
A whole term of Government with no shovels in the ground
By: New Zealand National Party
Transport Agency welcomes next steps for light rail
By: NZTA
Light rail delay creates highway opportunities
By: Automobile Association
Government taking action to close gender pay gap
By: New Zealand Government
Genter delaying pay equity for publicity stunt
By: New Zealand National Party
Gender Pay Imbalance - call for PM to take action
By: New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
Persistent gender pay gap - need for Govt to move faster
By: NZEI Te Riu Roa
Opportunity to fix the gender pay gap in tertiary sector
By: Tertiary Education Union
Government must take the handbrakes off, deliver equal pay
By: Public Service Association
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media