Flood insurance update: Temporary Accommodation

Published: Mon 24 Jul 2017 04:33 PM
Flood insurance update: Temporary Accommodation
The Insurance Council of New Zealand advise people who have uninhabitable homes due to flood damage to contact their insurer directly for help with temporary accommodation.
“Reports in today suggest that some people may be displaced from their homes for quite some time and in some areas of the South Island it may take two to three weeks for the water to recede” said Tim Grafton Insurance Council Chief Executive.
Most home policies as well as contents policies provide cover for temporary accommodation. Each policy wording will differ so people should check with their insurer.
“People that are renting and only have contents insurance may not be aware that they probably will also have cover for temporary accommodation” he said.
Key points from Home policies:
• Contact your insurer first – they must agree
• The home needs to be uninhabitable due to loss
• Covers you and your domestic pets
• The choice of temporary accommodation needs to be reasonable i.e. a similar standard to your existing house
• It doesn’t cover additional costs such as travel, letting fees, utilities, meals, phone, internet
• You are covered, even if the damage to house is under $100k EQC cap
• Limit of cover will be to a dollar value – each policy is different, so check
• Some insurers will pay you direct and others you’ll get reimbursed – discuss with your insurer
• Some policies will also cover you where your home is otherwise safe and sanitary, but you are prevented from accessing it by order or direction of government or local authorities
• Reasonable moving or storage costs are covered
To decide what counts as uninhabitable, insurers will assess on a case by case basis and are likely to ask questions such as:
• Is the home safe and structurally stable?
• Has a Government/Local Authority issued instructions for you to vacate the home?
• Is the home secure against theft and outside elements (e.g. watertight?)
• Can the kitchen and bathroom be used?
• Can people sleep in the home?
• Is there water? Electricity?
Key points from Contents policies
• If you are renting and only have Contents insurance, check with your insurer as most insurers will cover your temporary accommodation
• The alternative accommodation benefit will likely still require you to contribute your normal rent towards the cost
• Damage may need to be caused to your contents to be eligible for the temporary accommodation benefit
• Insurers will also pay for the temporary storage of your contents – including removal and returns.
Reasonable costs of emergency evacuation is also often covered in home and contents policies if the evacuation is due to safety concerns or other emergency and the police or a local authority has advised against you living in your house or you are unable to access your home. This cover needs to be agreed in advance with your insurer.
Residential body corporates should contact their insurance broker, if they have one, or their insurance company directly.

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

Refinery prepares to repair damaged pipeline
By: Refining NZ
Economy Grows 0.8% in June Quarter
By: Statistics New Zealand
Annual Net Migration Remains High
By: Statistics New Zealand
Cassini's grand Saturn finale - Expert Reaction
By: Science Media Centre
Court rejects Cathay unit's retirement age of 55 for pilots
By: BusinessDesk
Judgment: AFFCO NZ Limited v NZ Meat Workers Union
By: NZ Supreme Court
Air NZ restricts ticket sales as Auck fuel shortage bite
By: BusinessDesk
MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares up, milk stocks Synlait, A2 gain
By: BusinessDesk
MBIE: Wiri terminal wouldn't have avoided pipeline woes
By: BusinessDesk
UPDATE: NZ Refining, Air NZ shares fall
By: BusinessDesk
NZ Refining says pipeline leak to hit revenue by up to $15m
By: BusinessDesk
Update on Marsden Point pipeline disruption
By: New Zealand Government
Update on Marsden Point pipeline disruption
By: New Zealand Government
Update on Marsden Point pipeline disruption
By: New Zealand Government
Update on Marsden Point pipeline disruption
By: New Zealand Government
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media