INDEPENDENT NEWS

NZ dollar falls vs. Aussie dollar as RBNZ seen cutting rates

Published: Mon 12 Oct 2015 08:47 AM
NZ dollar falls vs. Australian dollar as RBNZ seen cutting rates while RBA stands pat
By Jonathan Underhill
Oct. 12 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand dollar extended its decline against the Australian dollar on speculation the Reserve Bank of New Zealand will cut interest rates again this year while Australia's central bank keeps its cash rate unchanged, narrowing the kiwi dollar's premium.
The kiwi fell to 91.13 Australian cents at 8am in Wellington, from 91.25 cents in New York on Friday and down from 91.69 cents in Asia at the end of last week. It traded at 66.80 US cents from 66.90 cents in New York.
Traders are awaiting New Zealand inflation figures this week, which are expected to confirm increases in consumer prices are well below the level the central bank targets on average, over time. That would give the Reserve Bank room to cut the official cash rate a quarter point to 2.5 percent at its Oct. 29 review, which the overnight interest swap curve puts at 78 percent odds, or at the full monetary policy statement on Dec. 10. By contrast, the odds of a Reserve Bank of Australia cut at its next meeting are just 22 percent and that's also the extent of hikes seen to its cash rate in the next 12 months.
BusinessDesk
Independent, Trustworthy New Zealand Business News
The Wellington-based BusinessDesk team provides a daily news feed for a serious business audience.
Contact BusinessDesk
Email:

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

New Year Border Exception For Seasonal Workers In The Horticulture And Wine Industries
By: New Zealand Government
Grey Power Is Disappointed To Learn Of More Bank Closures
By: Grey Power New Zealand
Supply Chain On Brink Of Overload Says National Road Carriers
By: National Road Carriers
Annual Goods Trade Surplus At 28-year High
By: Statistics New Zealand
How Real Is That Bargain?
By: Commerce Commission
Births And Deaths: Year Ended September 2020
By: Statistics New Zealand
Okay Boomer: Kākāpō Wins Bird Of The Year 2020
By: Forest And Bird
Govt Goes “hard And Early” On RSE Workers
By: ACT New Zealand
Bringing RSE Workers Back The Right Move
By: Business NZ
Cream Of The Crop Will Get To Market
By: Auckland Business Chamber
Horticulture Industry Appreciates Government’s Decision On RSE Workers
By: Horticulture NZ
BNZ Optimistic About Year Ahead
By: BNZ
Māori Population Estimates: At 30 June 2020
By: Statistics New Zealand
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media