Sweet Success for Villa Maria at International Wine Show
It was sweet success for Villa Maria last evening, collecting nine gold medals and the trophy for Champion Sweet Wine at
the New Zealand International Wine Show, held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Auckland.
The New Zealand International Wine show is the country’s largest wine show, in its tenth year with over 2000 global
entries, it gives recognition to wines that are or will be sold in New Zealand.
The world renowned show organised by Kingsley Wood of First Glass Wines of Auckland, has a panel of over twenty experts
judging the high calibre of entrants, overseen by Chief Judge Bob Campbell, MW.
Thrilled to accept Villa Maria’s medals and trophy was Auckland based winemaker, Dave Roper. “As a winemaker it is
always an honour to receive an award, not only is it recognition for the team, it also confirms we’re producing some
great wines for our customers to enjoy,” Roper said.
A highlight for Villa Maria was receiving a gold medal for Villa Maria Reserve Syrah 2012 coming from a particularly
tough vintage in Hawkes Bay.
The surprise for the evening was winning the trophy for Champion Sweet Wine for Villa Maria Reserve Noble Botrytis
Riesling 2012. This unique, classy concentrated dessert styled wine from Marlborough has gained a reputation amongst
VILLA MARIA GOLD MEDALS
• Reserve Hawkes Bay Chardonnay 2013
• Reserve Marlborough Chardonnay 2013
• Reserve Marlborough Noble Riesling Botrytis Selection 2012
• Reserve Marlborough Noble Semillon 2011
• Reserve Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2010
• Reserve Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay Syrah 2012
• Cellar Selection Marlborough Dry Riesling 2013
• Cellar Selection Hawkes Bay Organic Merlot 2013
• Private Bin East Coast Pinot Gris 2014