INDEPENDENT NEWS

Qantas has first loss since '95, cancels order for 35 planes

Published: Thu 23 Aug 2012 12:08 PM
Qantas reports first loss since 1995, cancels orders for 35 planes
Aug. 23 (BusinessDesk) - Qantas Airways, Australia’s biggest airline, is cutting orders for 35 Boeing 787-9 aircraft for a saving of US$8.5 billion as it announces its first trading loss since being privatised in 1995.
The airline reported a statutory loss of A$244 million for the year ended June 30, a half billion dollar turnaround on the profit of A$249 million a year earlier, Qantas said in a statement to the ASX.
The loss came despite a 5.6 percent lift in total group revenues to A$15.72 billion and reflects what the company described as "a difficult year of major transformational change" and a record result on an underlying operating earnings basis for its budget carrier, Jetstar.
That's despite a report earlier this week by Fairfax Media that Qantas subsidiary JetConnect is losing money in the heavily contested trans-Tasman trade. Today's group result makes no specific mention of New Zealand operations.
However, in an accompanying announcement, Qantas says it is restructuring its plans for fleet upgrades with Boeing 787-9's, cancelling orders for 35, taking delivery of the first of those remaining on order two years later than planned.
Deliveries of 15 B787-8 series aircraft will continue as planned, with the first arriving in the latter half of 2013, said chief executive Alan Joyce.
Orders for a further 50 787's will be retained, with the first of these to be available for delivery from 2016, in line with the announced turnaround plan for Qantas's troubled international business.
"In the context of returning Qantas International to profit, this is a prudent decision," Joyce said. While the B787 remained an important part of the airline's future, "circumstances have changed significantly since our order several years ago. It is vital that we allocate capital carefully across all parts of the group."
The decision will result in a net US$140 million impact on underlying profit before tax, which will be booked in the first half of the current financial year.
(BusinessDesk)
BusinessDesk
Independent, Trustworthy New Zealand Business News
The Wellington-based BusinessDesk team provides a daily news feed for a serious business audience.
Contact BusinessDesk
Email:

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

Westpac NZ Sets Out Plan To Go Cheque-free
By: Westpac
Major New Zealand Upgrade Programme Projects Go To Tender
By: NZTA
Reserve Bank Seeks To Preserve Benefits Of Cash
By: Reserve Bank
Double-dip recession next year, but housing rolls on
By: RNZ
Microsoft Expands “Highway To A Hundred Unicorns” Initiative To Support Startups In Asia Pacific
By: Microsoft New Zealand
Fonterra Farmers Taking Another Step Towards New Zealand’s Low Emissions Food Production
By: Fonterra
Businessman Eric Watson sentenced to a four-month jail term
By: RNZ
OECD Area Employment Rate Falls By 4.0 Percentage Points, To 64.6% In Second Quarter Of 2020
By: OECD
Spark Turns On 5G In Auckland And Offers A Glimpse Into The Future Of Smart Cities
By: Spark
Monthly Migration Remains Low
By: Statistics New Zealand
Proglacial Lakes Are Accelerating Glacier Ice Loss
By: University of Canterbury
Fonterra Sells China Farms
By: Fonterra
Inland Revenue Reminder About The End Of Cheques
By: Inland Revenue Department
Final countdown for Kiwibank cheques
By: Kiwibank
New Zealand Moves To Protect Cash
By: Next Payments
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media