Tech stars descend on New Zealand
August 11, 2011
The Rutherford Innovation Showcase is shaping up to be a must attend event with a host of international tech stars and
visitors due to descend on New Zealand’s technology scene.
From software to satellites and robots to trade, the Rutherford Innovation Showcase will celebrate and exemplify the NZ
ICT and Hi-Tech industries.
An exciting array of New Zealand and international speakers will be presenting at the eight events that make up the
Rutherford Innovation Showcase during the months of September and October, 2011.
International technology business leaders such as Lionsgate’s Curt Marvis, YouTube’s Annie Baxter, Intel director and
software evangelist James Reindeers, Commonwealth Bank’s Andy Lark and Google’s Craig Nevill-Manning, both of whom are
kiwis, will be speaking at our events.
We will also be hosting a range of domestic speakers and showcasing a range of New Zealand companies’ wares and ideas
during the events in order to engage with the expected international audience that will come to New Zealand during the
next few weeks.
The Rutherford Innovation Showcase is being organised by NZICT in association with partners New Zealand Trade and
Enterprise, ATEED, Ministry of Science and Innovation and the NZ 2011 Office and will be held from September 8 through
to October 13, 2011.
The events that make up the Rutherford Innovation Showcase are below. www.rutherfordinnovationshowcase.co.nz
• Canterbury Software Summit - September 8, Addington Raceway, Christchurch
• SKA Research and Industry Forums - September 22/23, Te Papa, Wellington
• Digital Content Forum - September 23, Te Papa, Wellington
• NZ Technology Trade & Investment Forum - September 26/27, Langham Hotel, Auckland
• Innovation Showcase event - September 26 - 29, Langham Hotel, Auckland
• Future Cities Forum - September 28, Langham Hotel, Auckland
• Technology Jobs Fair - October 11 - 13, The Cloud, Auckland
• Schools Robotics World Cup - October 11 - 13, The Cloud, Auckland
Snap shot of the New Zealand Hi-Tech sector The NZ ICT industry contributed $19.3 billion in 2008 to the New Zealand
economy –Statistics NZ ICT Supply survey 2007/2008 According to the Technology Investment Network report 2010 (TIN100),
exports of the top 100 technology companies are $4.9 billion annually 28% of venture capital and seed funding goes into
ICT companies in NZ Government ICT procurement represents around 10 per cent of NZ’s ICT spend The industry employs
approximately 40,000 people If the NZ ICT and Hi-Tech industry doubles its revenues over the next few years, it will
become NZ’s largest export earner