With extensive road closures in place for the National Remembrance Service in Hagley Park on Friday, people will need to
factor extra travel time into their plans for the day.
The road closures will be in place from 2am Friday morning until late Friday afternoon and will affect not only vehicle
movements but also pedestrian and cyclist access to some parts of the central city.
People planning on attending the National Remembrance Service, which starts at 10am, are being encouraged to travel to
the event on public transport, by cycle, scooter or foot.
People are being encouraged not to bring bags or buggies to the event as they will cause delays at the security check
Environment Canterbury is waiving bus charges for the day so people can ride the buses for free. Services will operator
to normal Friday routes and timetables but there may be detours that affect routes in the vicinity of Hagley Park. Check Metroinfo(external link)
or call 03 366 8855 for information on timetables and detours.
Public access to North Hagley Park and the National Remembrance Service
Public access into North Hagley Park is only on foot, by bicycle or scooter.
You can access the event from Harper Avenue and Deans Avenue.
You can access the event from Riccarton Avenue through the Botanic Gardens.
You can access the event from Rolleston Avenue, via the gate by Canterbury Museum and the flower tribute wall), through
the Botanic Gardens.
The Armagh Street Bridge will be closed with no access for pedestrians, vehicles, cyclists or scooters.
Cycle and scooter parking
Cycle stands and scooter parking zones will be available at North Hagley Park, next to the golf course.
Cycleways will be closed through North Hagley Park as there will be no east exit for cyclists across the Armagh Street
or Salisbury Street bridge.
Mobility carparking for vehicles displaying a mobility pass will be at the Hagley Oval carpark off Riccarton Avenue.
People wanting to access the parking will need to get onto Riccarton Avenue from the hospital end.
A free shuttle will take people between the carpark and the event site.
The following road closures will be in place from 2am Friday to late Friday afternoon.
• Harper Avenue and Deans Avenue - road closed to vehicles but pedestrian access is available into Hagley Park.
• Riccarton Avenue will be closed to vehicles from Christchurch Hospital to Deans Avenue but there will be
pedestrian access into Hagley Park.
• Park Terrace/Rolleston Avenue will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians, bikes and e-scooters from Bealey
Avenue to Gloucester Street.
• The Armagh Street Bridge will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians, bikes and e-scooters. There will be no
access via the bridge to Hagley Park.
• Kilmore Street, Peterborough Street, and Salisbury Street will be closed from Park Terrace to Montreal Street to
all vehicles, pedestrians, bikes and e-scooters.
• Kilmore Street from Durham Street to Montreal Street will be closed to vehicles.
• Park Terrace from Cranmer Square, via Chester Street or Armagh Street, will be closed to all vehicles,
pedestrians, bikes and e-scooters.
• Armagh Street, from 50 metres east of Park Terrace/Rolleston Avenue will be closed to vehicles.
• Rolleston Avenue from Gloucester Street to Cashel Street will be closed to vehicles but pedestrian access will
still be available.
• Gloucester Street, Worcester Street, and Hereford Street will be closed for 50 metres from Rolleston Avenue.