Drivers who travel on State Highway 7 between Greymouth and Reefton overnight need to be ready for some delays at the
end of this month.
The Stoney Creek Bridge, north of Ikamatua, south of Reefton, is being strengthened by NZ Transport Agency crews.
This work on the bridge piers will see the bridge closed every night between 10 pm and 6 am, from Sunday, 23 September,
to Wednesday night/ Thursday morning, 27 September.
Most vehicles will be allowed to go across at the top of each hour during a brief opening, but drivers of vehicles
weighing more than 3,500 kg/3.5 tonne will not be allowed across at all during the night closure.
Alternative route for vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonne
The alternative route is along the Coast Road north of Greymouth (SH6), to Inangahua and south to Reefton on SH69. SH6
also has a number of slow sections near Punakaiki with one-way traffic controlled by traffic signals due to cyclone
damage earlier this year.
“Thanks to all drivers for taking care around our crews or on the alternative route while we get this bridge
strengthening work completed,” says Transport Agency Senior Network Manager Colin Hey.
• Emergency vehicles will get across the bridge.
• This work is weather dependent so if it is wet that week, it may take a night or two longer to complete.
How to stay up to date:
• 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)
• Facebook www.facebook.com/nztasouthisland
• Twitter NZTA Canterbury/ West Coast https://twitter.com/NZTACWC
• Journey planner: http://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz