INDEPENDENT NEWS

Hastings: Massive public input into waste plan

Published: Fri 20 Apr 2018 02:27 PM
Work on analysing the 6129 submissions to the draft joint Waste Management and Minimisation Plan has started.
Residents in Napier and Hastings have been asked to comment on options for minimising and better managing waste. “The response has been outstanding. The more input we can have into the decision-making process, the more likely we are to come to a conclusion that we can all support,” said Tania Kerr, Hastings deputy mayor and Joint Council Waste Futures Project Steering Committee chairperson.
“With this type of project, that is critical – the management of waste is hugely important and councils cannot do it on their own. Once we reach a decision, we need people to help us by committing to better managing their rubbish so we can reduce the amount going to the landfill.”
The consultation on the six-year review of the joint plan had been running since late February.
The hearing of submissions will be held over four days from June 18.
Just over 200 of the submitters had asked to address the hearings committee as well as have their written submission considered. The six-person panel has three councillors from each of the councils. From Hastings: Tania Kerr (chairman), George Lyons and Rod Heaps; from Napier: Annette Brosnan, Api Tapine and Larry Dallimore.
Council staff are in the process of sorting the submissions into topics, after which they will prepare a report including recommendations on the submissions.
The hearings committee will consider all of the feedback in the submissions, hear the verbal submissions, consider the staff report and then make its recommendations, which will be returned to both councils for consideration.
“We want to impress on everyone that no decisions on the options have been made and all input will be taken into account. We are looking forward to seeing all of the information provided to us from such a vast number of our residents,” said Mrs Kerr.
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

PM's Post-Cab 25/3/19: Royal Commission on Mosque Attacks
By: The Scoop Team
Gordon Campbell on the school climate strike
By: Gordon Campbell
Latest OIA statistics released
By: State Services Commission
New legal action taken against 'Hit and Run' inquiry
By: RNZ
Mokihinui River catchment land to be added to Kahurangi
By: New Zealand Government
PM Announces Royal Commission into Christchurch Attacks
By: RNZ
PM Ardern to visit China for one-day meeting with Xi, Li
By: BusinessDesk
Prime Minister to visit China to meet with leaders
By: New Zealand Government
Foreign Minister to visit Malaysia
By: New Zealand Government
An Open Letter from the Youth of Aotearoa
By: SchoolStrike
We're striking and we're doing it right!
By: School strike 4 climate
Wairarapa college students will join international protest
By: Carys Gibbs
Christchurch students to join global Climate Strike
By: SchoolStrike
Climate change protest on school day divides MPs
By: RNZ
Principals seek guidance over students climate strike
By: RNZ
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media