INDEPENDENT NEWS

Arrests after attempted occupation of Auckland building

Published: Fri 2 Oct 2015 03:30 PM
"Arrests after attempted occupation of Auckland building"
Two people have been arrested this morning following an incident at a Cook Street address on Monday afternoon where a group of men entered the premises claiming sovereignty of the location.
The 66 and 50-year-old men are now facing charges of Trespass, Forcible Entry and Assault and will appear in the Auckland District Court tomorrow.
Police are continuing to search for a number of others in relation to this incident and enquiries are continuing both in Auckland and other parts of the country. Further arrests are anticipated.
Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Marcia Murray said this had been a traumatic ordeal for staff at the premises.
She also stressed that Police would not want people taking the law into their own hands to resolve perceived grievances.
"No one has a right to enter a building, remove people and illegally lay claim to an area. Such activity is a criminal offence and will result in those who participate in activities of this type being held accountable through the Courts."
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

New Economic Analysis On The Impact Of Artificial Intelligence
By: The Treasury
Former Heads Of State Call On G20 Leaders To Back Global Deal To Tax The Ultra-rich
By: Oxfam Aotearoa
Starting Today: International Seabed Authority Meeting A Critical Moment In Fight Against Deep Sea Mining
By: Greenpeace
Ministers Reveal Consequences For Unruly Kāinga Ora Tenants
By: New Zealand Government
NZDF’s Red Sea Deployment Extended
By: New Zealand Government
Govt’s ‘climate Strategy’ As Useful As Teats On A Bull, Says Greenpeace
By: Greenpeace New Zealand
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media