Friday 31 August 2012
Agreed Statement of Tony Marryatt and the Council
• The Council received a letter of personal grievance from Tony Marryatt on 18 April 2012.
• The Council has responded to Tony Marryatt’s personal grievance by:
• Both parties settling the personal grievance in the interests of the City;
• Tony Marryatt confirming that he is committed to the rebuild of the City and to leading the Council
• The Council reaffirming its commitment to Tony Marryatt as Chief Executive of the Christchurch City Council at
this critical time.
• The Council values and respects Tony Marryatt’s role as Chief Executive and recognises and appreciates the work
he has put in over this critical time.
• The only money paid in settlement by the Council to Tony Marryatt is reimbursement of his legal costs reasonably
incurred in pursuing his personal grievance.
• It is acknowledged that extensive time and effort has been put into clarifying Councillors’ roles. The adoption
of the Christchurch City Council Charter is intended to effect behavioural change and improve the working relationship
As this is an employment issue, there will be no further comment.