Media release 5 December 2006 1 Page
Last chance for submissions on fishing off the pier
This is the last week for people to have their say about the future of fishing off New Brighton Pier.
The public consultation on how the Council could manage fishing off the pier has been running for just over four weeks, and over 230 submissions have been received so far. The consultation closes this Friday 8 December.
Rodney Chambers, Council Coastal Parks Area Head Ranger, says that the number of submissions received reflects the community’s high level of interest in the pier.
“The Council acknowledges that the pier’s existence is largely due to the massive fundraising undertaken by the community. Through this consultation, we hope to get a better grip on the problems associated with fishing off the pier, as well as an indication of how the community wants us to address those problems”, says Mr Chambers.
The Council decided that it is time to address the problems associated with fishing off the pier. Numerous complaints have been received from members of the public about inconsiderate and sometimes unacceptable behaviour by some people who fish off it.
Five options have been identified for how the Council could manage fishing off the pier in the future:
- No changes – current unrestricted access and fishing rules apply, with limited enforcement.
- Increased enforcement and communication – onsite supervision, supported by a public education programme.
- Restricted fishing - allow fishing only at specified times or days.
- Total ban on fishing – with onsite enforcement.
- Structural addition to the pier – an additional platform to separate sightseers and fishers.
Brochures outlining the five options in detail, including submission forms, are available from Council service centres and libraries. Consultation information is also available online at www.ccc.govt.nz/haveyoursay