Painted Apple Moth Aerial Operation Over For The Day
The second extended aerial operation against the painted apple moth is over for the day. The operation was about half
way through – completing around 4,000 hectares of the 8,00 hectare zone - when the aircraft stopped at between 12.15 and
1.00 p.m. for the scheduled break and did not resume due to high winds.
Three aircraft - a Fokker Friendship, a small, fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter – started at first light this
morning, just before 6.00 am. This time the aircraft worked to a different flight plan from the last operation, flying
in tighter circuits which allowed operations staff to more accurately describe which areas the aircraft had completed.
Suburbs completed today include: Ranui, Henderson North, Western Heights, McLaren Park, Glen Eden West, Glen Eden,
Sunnyvale, Henderson, the southern part of Lincoln, Glendene, Avondale, Waterview and parts of Mt Albert, Point
Chevalier and Blockhouse Bay. Traherne Island and a strip of the north western motorway between Massey and Rosedale Road
were also completed.
The helicopter again targeted small areas of heavy caterpillar infestation – two gullies in the Wairau Creek and
Glendene Stream, the Waikumete Cemetery and an area in Swanson near the Stagecoach bus depot. Starting at first light,
the helicopter finished just before 8.00 am.
About five hours of flying remains for the two fixed-wing aircraft to complete the following areas: Te Atatu South,
Massey West, Palm Heights, Oratia, Kelston, Harbour View, parts of New Lynn and part of the north western motorway
between Avondale and the Waterview off ramp.
Robert Isbister, general manager, painted apple moth said, “The operation went very smoothly this morning and we think
the revised flight plan worked well. We’ve had some very positive feedback from residents and schools who’ve really
appreciated the break in flying between 8 and 9 this morning and at lunchtime. We’re just hoping that the weather is
good tomorrow and we can complete the operation.”
A decision whether the operation will go ahead tomorrow (Thursday 14 November) will be made at approximately 4.00 am