INDEPENDENT NEWS

UN chief warns against escalation over Syria

Published: Sat 14 Apr 2018 06:42 PM
Following airstrikes, UN chief warns against escalation over Syria
The United Nations Secretary-General has called on the international community to avoid actions which could escalate the crisis in Syria and deepen the suffering of its people.
António Guterres made the appeal late on Friday evening just hours after the United States, France and Britain launched air strikes targeting sites associated with the country’s chemical weapons capabilities.
“There’s an obligation, particularly when dealing with matters of peace and security, to act consistently with the Charter of the United Nations and with international law in general. The UN Charter is very clear on these issues,” Mr Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesperson.
“The Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. I call on the members of the Security Council to unite and exercise that responsibility. I urge all Member States to show restraint in these dangerous circumstances and to avoid any acts that could escalate the situation and worsen the suffering of the Syrian people.”
The joint operation by the US and its allies was in response to a suspected chemical attack in the city of Douma last week.
UN partner the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has deployed a fact-finding mission to the area.
Mr. Guterres deplored the use of chemical weapons, which he described as “abhorrent.”
Earlier on Friday, the Secretary-General had called on the Security Council to create an independent body to determine who had used chemical weapons in Syria.
Last October, the Council failed to renew the mandate of a UN-OPCW body, known as the Joint Inspection Mechanism, which was established three years ago.
“I have repeatedly expressed my deep disappointment that the Security Council failed to agree on a dedicated mechanism for effective accountability for the use of chemical weapons in Syria,” his statement said.
“I urge the Security Council to assume its responsibilities and fill this gap.”

Next in World

Gordon Campbell on next week’s NATO debacle
By: Gordon Campbell
Rule of law threatened in Nauru
By: New Zealand Law Society
Executive Order Imprisons Families Indefinitely
By: Amnesty International
New Zealand welcomes the US-DPRK summit
By: New Zealand Government
Fake News and political establishment leading Colombia back to war
By: Joseph Cederwall
Russia initiates WTO dispute complaint against US duties
By: World Trade Organisation
Sweden’s Military Madness
By: David Swanson
Defence Minister in talks with top NATO officer
By: New Zealand Government
Nauru's ABC stance condemned by Pacific Freedom Forum
By: RNZ
Executive Order: "Opportunity to Address Family Separation"
By: The White House
New Zealand welcomes US immigration policy change
By: New Zealand Government
Is there substance behind Trump-Kim accord?
By: Massey University
UN Sec-General on US-DPRK Summit
By: United Nations
DPRK Should Release Political Prisoners Ahead of Summit
By: United Nations
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media