INDEPENDENT NEWS

TIMOR: UN police race time to lay Balibo charges

Published: Sun 17 Sep 2000 04:33 PM
* Pacific Media Watch Online: http://www.pmw.c2o.org
UN POLICE RACE TIME TO LAY BALIBO CHARGES
By Mark Dodd, Herald Correspondent in Dili
United Nations police in East Timor have opened a formal investigation into the 1975 killing of five Australian-based journalists at Balibo and say they may lay charges within the next month.
The UN civilian police spokesman, Assistant Commissioner Antero Lopes, said yesterday the investigators were in a battle against time to beat a 25-year statute of limitations that applies to the case, which falls under Portuguese law.
The police had until October 15 this year to produce evidence that could
result in the issuing of criminal indictments, he said.
The UN police official said the five newsmen Australians Greg Shackleton and Tony Stewart, Britons Malcolm Rennie and Brian Peters, and New Zealander Gary Cunningham were in the East Timor village of Balibo when it was attacked by Indonesian troops.
"The journalists, as you know, were killed under questionable circumstances during this invasion."
Although Indonesians are unlikely to surrender or be turned over to the UN by their government, even laying charges will be explosive, as several of the officers known to have taken part in in the Balibo attack later rose to high positions.
The attack leader, Yunus Yosfiah, rose to lieutenant-general and was Information Minister in the 1998-99 Habibie Government. Another officer,
Lieutenant-General Sutiyoso, is now Governor of Jakarta; Major-General Slamet Kirbiantoro is Jakarta Military Region commander; and Major-General Kuntara is Indonesia's ambassador in Beijing.
Two months ago, several key witnesses gave new testimony to UN investigators, Commissioner Lopes said.
"They are reliable sources and facts they have reported are sustainable, and they have been checked," he said. "There was a reconstitution of the [crime] scene based on their statements. These statements are very important and it's likely they are true.
"Anyway, the witnesses interviewed have produced very interesting comments. Their statements have been very important if not for a valid trial then to clarify what happened."
He said a multinational police team, including Australian investigators, had been working on the case for two months.
Details on the killings had been sought from the Indonesian police through the Civil Liaison Office in Kupang in West Timor, though their information was of little value. It was unlikely Indonesian witnesses living outside East Timor would be sought for the investigation.
However, Indonesian witnesses could be summonsed to help out in the investigation. "If necessary there are international laws applicable to this kind of situation and they could be enforced," he said.
Charges could be laid at the end of the investigation.
"Yes, it is possible to conduct an investigation which we are doing and yes, it is possible to charge people for that."
+++niuswire
PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE: http://www.pmw.c2o.org
PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media, the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, and Pactok Communications, in Sydney and Port Moresby.
(c)1996-2000 Copyright - All rights reserved.
Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.
Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.
For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch
listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific
Media Watch at: E-mail: niusedita@pactok.net.au or: bfmedia@mpx.com.au Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, c/o Journalism, PO Box 1168, Suva, Fiji New website: http://www.pmw.c2o.org

Next in World

Tongan PM 'Akilisi Pohiva dies, aged 78
By: RNZ
UK PM to Suspend Parliament; Queen's Speech
By: 10 Downing Street
Gordon Campbell on the Hong Kong protest movement
By: Gordon Campbell
The Pacific will no longer stand for Australia's inaction
By: The Conversation
July 29: Earth Overshoot Day 2019 is the Earliest Ever
By: WWF
New Zealand express condolences on passing of Tonga’s PM
By: New Zealand Government
Jeremy Corbyn responds to plans to suspend Parliament
By: UK Labour Party
Australian PM's attitude 'neo-colonial' says Tuvalu
By: RNZ
Condescension and Climate Change
By: Binoy Kampmark
Denying Climate Change and Boosting China’s Threat
By: Binoy Kampmark
NZ boosts support for climate action across the Pacific
By: New Zealand Government
Prime Minister to attend Pacific Islands Forum
By: New Zealand Government
PM Ardern to tackle climate change conversation in Tuvalu
By: RNZ
Ardern must meet Pacific calls
By: Oxfam
Pacific Pawa Shift Builds Momentum to Climate Action Summit
By: 350.org
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media