1) UNTAET wants to restore Timor land records 28/04/00 (Malaysian National News Agency) PUTRAJAYA - There are ample
business opportunities in East Timor but the UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (Untaet) wants to first ensure
that records of property and land ownership are restored.
2) World summit clash on education of poor 28/04/00 (The Guardian) DAKAR - The world summit on education was heading for
confrontation between governments and powerful coalitions of non- governmental organisations (NGOs) on its opening day
over who pays for the education of the poorest people on earth in the next 15 years.
3) Another diplomatic snub as Indon-Australia relations sour 28/04/00 (The Age) JAKARTA AND PARIS - Relations between
Australia and Indonesia nosedived yesterday, with Indonesia's Foreign Minister suddenly cancelling a meeting with the
Australian ambassador just hours after Prime Minister John Howard toughened his stance on Jakarta.
4) Militia leader Laurentino “Moko” Soares jailed for firearms 28/04/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) Suai - An Indonesian
court has jailed the notorious militia leader Laurentino Soares, known as Moko, for up to three years for illegally
possessing firearms, according to United Nations observers.
5) Militia leader 'released earlier this month' in Indonesia 28/04/00 (AP) JAKARTA - The leader of one of the
pro-Jakarta militia gangs that terrorized East Timor last year was detained in Indonesia after he was found with an
illegal weapon, a police spokesman said Thursday.
6) UN sees East Timor elections end of 2001 27/04/00 (Reuters) KUALA LUMPUR - East Timor will hold general elections to
select the ravaged territory's first government in the second half of 2001, a top United Nations official said on
7) Labour issues discussed by UNTAET, Timorese representatives. 28/04/00 (UNTAET) DILI - The first tri-partite
consultation on labour issues and the future labour law was concluded on Wednesday in Dili.
8) Town hall meeting on employment 28/04/00 (UNTAET) DILI - Some 1,000 young Timorese attended a meeting today in the
gymnasium hall in Dili, organized by UNTAET to discuss employment in East Timor.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: