TIMOR TODAY 20 APRIL 2000
1) Wiranto ready for questioning on East Timor 20/04/00 (Media Indonesia) Jakarta - Suspended Coordinating Minister for
Political and Security Affairs Gen Wiranto has declared his readiness to be questioned by the Joint Investigation Team
with regard to alleged human rights violations following the East Timor ballot. Proceedings in the case will begin at
the end of April in the Attorney-General's Office.
2) Another 500 East Timorese refugees ready to sail for home. 20/04/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - More than 500 East Timorese were
scheduled to sail home from the West Timorese port of Kupang Tuesday, bringing to more than 160,000 the number of
returnees since October, the UNHCR said.
3) Forsenic tests start on Oecussi bodies 20/04/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) Dili - United Nations forensic pathologists
have begun autopsies on 20 sets of human remains uncovered in the Oecussi enclave last week, victims of one of the worst
massacres allegedly committed by Indonesian security forces and pro-Jakarta militia last September.
4) Indonesia names 79 member team to investigate Timor atrocities 20/04/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - Indonesia's attorney general
Wednesday swore in a 79-member team charged with officially investigating human rights violations during the wave of
terror in East Timor last year.
5) Establishing Rule of Law in Dili 20/04/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) DILI - Amid the rubble of Dili and the devastation
of the island of East Timor following last year's vote for independence, the United Nations Transitional Administration
(UNTAET) is undertaking the Herculean task of rebuilding the infrastructure, repairing or demolishing damaged buildings
and forging a new constitution.
6) Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 16 - 19 Apr 2000 20/04/00 (UNTAET) The key points of concern expressed to Mr.
Takahashi dealt with problems with the water supply system and the delivery of shelter materials.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: