DE RUEHPF #0930 3510849
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 170849Z DEC 09
FM AMEMBASSY PHNOM PENH
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 1465
INFO RUEKJCS/CJCS WASHDC
RHHMUNA/USCINCPAC HONOLULU HI//JC/J3/J4/J45/J5/J7/J72/FPA//
RUEHPF/USDAO PHNOM PENH CB
UNCLAS PHNOM PENH 000930
DEPARTMENT FOR PM-HDP, DRL, EAP/MLS, EAP/RSP AND S/GHD
E. O 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL MOPS PHUM MARR MASS CB
SUBJECT: HUMAN RIGHTS VETTING FOR INDIVIDUALS TO ATTEND THE
COBRA GOLD 2010 (CG10 CPX), JANUARY 28 - FEBRUARY 11, 2010 IN
REF: 03 SECSTATE 034981
1. This is an action cable. See Paragraph Six.
2. Reftel is guidance for screening nominees for U.S. sponsored
3. To comply with the Leahy amendment relative to U.S. sponsored
security assistance training, the U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh has
conducted local human rights vetting for the following individuals
to attend the Cobra Gold 2010(CG10 CPX), January 28 - February 11,
2010 in Thailand.
NAME: Kann, Koeun (Male)
DPOB: March 10, 1968; Takeo
POSITION: Deputy Chief of Operations, PKO Dept
RANK: Lt. Colonel
DEPT/UNIT: Peace-Keeping Operations Department, Policy and Foreign
Affairs, Ministry of Defense
NAME: Buth, Leangsong (Male)
DPOB: June 5, 1972, Kandal
POSITION: Chief of Technical Office
RANK: Lt. Colonel
DEPT/UNIT: Tactical Directorate, Royal Cambodian Armed Forces High
4. U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh has reviewed its files and finds that, as
of this date, it possesses no credible information of gross
violations of human rights by the above individuals.
5. Individuals will attend the Cobra Gold 2010(CG10 CPX), January 28
- February 11, 2010 in Thailand.
6. Action request: Please verify whether the Department possesses
any credible information that the individuals named above have been
implicated in gross violations of human rights.
7. Points of contacts for Amembassy Phnom Penh are Major Wayne
Turnbull email@example.com or tel: 855-23-728-219 or Jenae
Johnson at Johnsonjd3@state.gov or tel: 855-23-728-118.