This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS SANAA 002836
PLEASE PASS TO R, IIP, PA, AND DRL/IRF
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PREL OIIP KPAO KIRF
SUBJECT: YEMEN 2004 RAMADAN STRATEGY
REF: SECSTATE 219905
1. Per reftel, Post reports the following Ramadan programming
2. Third Annual PD Iftar. Post,s major event was its annual
Iftar dinner on 11/03. Invitees included ROYG officials, NGO
heads and representatives, media and cultural contacts, as
well as embassy staff. The Ambassador conveyed Ramadan
greetings from the President. In light of the Iftar,s
theme,"Respect for Islam in the US," an Arabic translated
version of "Muslim Life in America" was also presented.
3. Embassy Iftar Dinners for the Needy. On 11/06-11/07, the
Ambassador sponsored two Iftar dinners for the
disenfranchised through the Sada Society, a Yemeni NGO. The
Iftar dinners were billed "from the American people."
4. FSN Iftar. The FSNs sponsored a post-wide Iftar on 11/05.
Several members of the embassy community fasted in a
demonstration of solidarity with observing embassy staff.
The FSN community provided food and entertainment in the
spirit of Ramadan.
5. Ambassador's attendance at a locally hosted "diwaniya."
PD is examining the possibility of the Ambassador,s
attendance at a local Ramadan tent, known regionally as a
"diwaniya" or "mafraj," where Yemenis gather after Iftar to
listen to music and discuss the day,s events. No date has
6. All PD sponsored Ramadan events emphasize respect for
Islam and the Muslim people. Post will keep Department
informed should additional events be planned or implemented.