This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.
UNCLAS TEGUCIGALPA 001940
FOR WHA/PD (OHILTON), WHA/CEN (TKELLY), PM, AND INL
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: OIIP PREL KPAO MOPS PGOV SNAR HO IZ
SUBJECT: MEDIA COVERAGE ON THE VISIT OF CJCS GENERAL RICHARD
MYERS TO HONDURAS, AUGUST 13, 2003
1. CJCS visited Honduras on 8/13 and met with Honduran President
Ricardo Maduro, Minister of Defense Federico Breve, Chief of
Staff General Isaias Barahona and other key governmental
2. In his opening remarks, General Myers expressed his
appreciation for Honduran support of the U.S. effort to establish
a free and democratic government in Iraq and in the fight against
terrorism and drug trafficking. He also thanked Honduras for
being the first country in the Western Hemisphere to sign and
ratify an ICC Article 98 agreement.
3. All four national newspapers (La Tribuna, El Heraldo, La
Prensa and Tiempo) announced General Myers' visit on 8/12 and La
Tribuna, El Heraldo and La Prensa followed up on 8/13 on the
possible issues to be addressed during the visit and published a
bio. The two most important radio networks in Honduras (HRN and
Radio America) also announced the visit on 8/12.
Media Coverage on General Myers' visit
4. Newspapers: All four Honduran newspapers had full-page
coverage of the press conference by General Myers and President
Ricardo Maduro. Two of them (Tegucigalpa-based "El Heraldo" and
San Pedro Sula-based "La Prensa") carried a front-page photo of
5. Television: Coverage on the main television stations was
extensive. All evening news programs (channels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11
and 13) reported on the visit and coverage continued on 8/14 on
the morning news program Noticiero TVC (channels 3, 5, and 7).
6. Radio: Radio networks HRN, Radio America, and other smaller
stations also covered the visit. Some of them broadcast the
press conference live. Also international wires AP, AFP, Reuter,
Notimex, Acan-Efe, and CNN Radio covered the visit.
- "The U.S. will support the fight against drug trafficking"
- "Thanks Honduras for sending troops to Iraq" La Tribuna.
- "Honduras needs to do more in the fight against drug
trafficking" La Tribuna.
- "The U.S. wants the destruction of dangerous arms that may
fall in the wrong hands" La Tribuna.
- "Nicaragua needs to destroy its SAM-7 missiles" Tiempo.
- "There will be help, promises Richard Myers" "Even though
the helicopters have to wait, the Chief of Staff promised to
consider the request" El Heraldo.