INDEPENDENT NEWS

Government to blame for latest bus fatalities

Published: Wed 4 Sep 2019 04:25 PM
The government has blood on its hands over the latest fatal bus accident, says the car review website dogandlemon.com.
Editor Clive Matthew-Wilson, who is an outspoken road safety campaigner, says:
"The simple truth is, if the occupants of that bus had been wearing seatbelts, they'd probably be alive right now. There's no excuse: the police and government have been saying for years that people need to wear seatbelts, yet the bus industry is allowed to operate without them."
Matthew-Wilson believes that all passenger buses that drive at more than 50km/h should be required to have seatbelts, and the occupants should be required to wear them.
“Compared to cars, buses are actually a very safe way of travelling. At low speeds, such as around town, it’s not practical to require occupants to wear seatbelts. However, buses that travel our highways need to protect their occupants in the event of a collision.”
"It's nonsense to say that older buses can't be retrofitted with seatbelts. What is lacking is the political will to make this happen. If the government had acted after the last fatal bus crashes, those tourists would probably have been wearing seatbelts today and would very likely have survived the crash. The government should be deeply ashamed."
“New Zealand’s roads are particularly dangerous for buses, because they’re often narrow and winding; a perfect setup for a rollover accident.”
Matthew-Wilson also wants the government to ban the import of buses without Electronic Stability Control. Electronic Stability Control (ESC/ESP) helps prevent a vehicle losing control in emergencies. ESC is already compulsory on cars, but is still optional on imported buses.
However, a 2012 study by the American government, concluded that: “[If installed on heavy vehicles], we believe that ESC systems could prevent 40–56% of rollover crashes and 14% of loss-of-control crashes.”
ends

Next in New Zealand politics

Statement From Police Commissioner Mike Bush Following Guilty Pleas In Operation Deans Prosecution
By: New Zealand Police
Nation Steps Up To COVID-19 Alert Level 2
By: New Zealand Government
Cabinet Approves Business Continuity Package In Response To COVID-19
By: New Zealand Government
Record transport investment in Draft GPS 2021
By: New Zealand Government
On The Loss Of Abortion Safe Zones
By: Gordon Campbell
On The Oil Price Smackdown, And On National’s Fatuous Crusade Against Red Tape
By: Gordon Campbell
Predator Free 2050 Strategy - Expert Reaction
By: Science Media Centre
Land, Air And Sea: Regions To Benefit From NZ Upgrade
By: New Zealand Government
Statement On Guilty Plea Of March 15 Terrorist
By: New Zealand Government
Christchurch mosque attacks: Gunman pleads guilty to all charges
By: RNZ
PM on mosque attacks anniversary: 'A year on gives us a chance as a nation to reflect'
By: RNZ
Dunne Speaks: Nothing Much Has Changed Since March 15
By: Peter Dunne
Statement On Guilty Plea
By: Royal Commission of Inquiry into Attack on ChCh
Guilty Plea By Accused In Christchurch Mosque Attacks
By: Islamic Women's Council of New Zealand
Life In Prison Looms For Australia's Christchurch Gunman, Now NZ's First Convicted Terrorist
By: The Conversation
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media