INDEPENDENT NEWS

Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?

Published: Sat 16 Feb 2013 12:08 PM
Who’s Telling Porkies Paula?
John Tamihere has launched another stinging attack on Social Development Minister Paula Bennett and her officials claiming her – or them – were not truthful about transitioning whanau from Waipareira’s Family Start Programme.
Tamihere said Court of Appeal documents supplied to Waipareira by MSD lawyers proved the ministry approved providers were not ready to take on board Waipareira’s 260 Family Start families. Waipareira were told new providers would take over whanau from February 1, 2013, but documents tendered to the Appeal Court by the MSD show they only signed off contracts with some providers on February 8, 2013 and what’s more alarmingly is a full and complete service would not be operating out west until April 1, 2013.
“You do not have a service for my people to be transitioned into,” Tamihere wrote in an email to Paula Bennett on Wednesday.
“It is clear either you or your officials are not telling the truth.
“You have the knowledge that 260 families are knowingly without a service from 1st February, 2013 to the 1st April, 2013.
“You have knowingly endorsed that these families will fall between the cracks.”
Last week, the Waipareira boss put the Minister – who just arrived home today from the US where she spoke about the Family Start programme - on notice that he would hold her personally responsible if any harm or abuse happened to the families previously cared for by the Trust.
Waipareira Trust Board chairperson Josie Smith said some families from the Waipareira programme who had been getting the Early Learning payment (ELP) subsidy would no longer receive that. “Many families will have that funding cut,” Josie said.
“This is not about Waipareira but has always been about the whanau.”
The ELP contributed towards early childhood education for children aged 18 months to three years. Josie said those whanau should not be penalised because they were with a Maori provider. Last year, the High Court upheld the decision by MSD to end Waipareira’s $1.5m Family Start contract.
Te Whanau O Waipareira is appealing the MSD termination in the Appeal Court.
Ends

Next in New Zealand politics

Wellington's public transport system to get $6.4b overhaul
By: RNZ
MSD systematically misused its investigatory powers
By: Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Safety focus in improved drug driver testing
By: New Zealand Government
Panel appointed to debrief police response to Terror Attacks
By: New Zealand Police
Gordon Campbell on the end game for the teachers strike
By: Gordon Campbell
Deputy PM's Post-Cabinet Press Conference 13/5/19
By: The Scoop Team
Wellington transport announcement against Treasury advice
By: RNZ
Green light from Govt to get Wellington moving
By: New Zealand Government
New taxes aren’t the transport solution Wellington wants
By: New Zealand National Party
Freeing up City Congestion for Public Transport
By: Greater Wellington Regional Council
LGWM to deliver design-led and people-focused city
By: Let's Get Wellington Moving
Let’s Get Wellington Moving announcement welcomed
By: Kapiti Coast District Council
Let’s Get Welly Walking
By: Living Streets Aotearoa
Big Picture Looks Promising, But The Details Are Murky
By: Save the Basin Campaign
Let's Get Welly Moving hides status quo thinking
By: Dr Jenny Condie
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media