INDEPENDENT NEWS

Government House Conservation Project Contractor

Published: Tue 16 Dec 2008 03:48 PM
DEPARTMENT
of the PRIME MINISTER
and CABINET
Media release
16 December 2008
Government House Conservation Project Contractor named
Wellington-based construction company L.T. McGuinness Ltd has been named as the main contractor to conserve and renovate Government House in Wellington following a rigorous commercial tender process.
Maarten Wevers, Chief Executive of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (DPMC), said formally handing the House into the care of the main contractor in early January was a major step.
“The Department has been working for several years, with a team of consultants to ensure that the project meets modern building standards and the future requirements of a 21st Century Governor-General, and enhances the heritage values and functionality of the House.”
“Government House in Wellington is a nationally significant heritage building that has served New Zealand and New Zealanders for almost a century as the home of the Governor-General. This project will ensure that it is ready to face the future.”
Brian McGuinness, a Director of L.T. McGuinness, said the company was thrilled at the opportunity to lead such a significant project.
“In the 58 years since L.T. McGuinness was founded as a Wellington-based construction firm, we have undertaken many major restoration projects from the heritage buildings in the Chews Lane Precinct to Premier House and Wellington waterfront buildings Shed 22, NZX Centre and the Free Ambulance building.
“It is a privilege to be the main contractor on the Government House conservation project and to be working on such a nationally significant building.”
L.T. McGuinness are in the process of finalising and accepting a wide range of sub-contractor tenders for work on the main House and will be commencing work on site in early January.
Background
The Government House Conservation Project was approved by the Government in the 2008-09 Budget. DPMC is responsible for the maintenance of Government House Wellington and Government House Auckland and providing constitutional and administrative support to the Governor-General.
Government House in Wellington was built between 1908 and 1910 and the first Governor to live in the residence was Lord Islington (1910-12). The House is a fine example of a range of buildings designed by the Public Works Department in the Edwardian period, and has been accorded Category 1 status by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
During the Government House conservation project, when in Wellington, the Governor-General and Mrs Satyanand will live at Vogel House in Lower Hutt.
For more information about the Conservation Project visit: http://www.gg.govt.nz/house/overview.htm
For more information about L.T. McGuinness visit: http://www.ltmcguinness.co.nz/index.php
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

Quarantine-free travel with Australia to remain suspended
By: New Zealand Government
School holidays remain unchanged for Auckland region
By: New Zealand Government
Timeline confirmed for Emissions Reductions Plan
By: New Zealand Government
Power bill changes bring fairness to charges
By: New Zealand Government
Govt parks the expiry of licenses, WoFs and regos
By: New Zealand Government
Highest jump in weekly benefit numbers since first lockdown
By: Child Poverty Action Group
Principals Applaud School Holiday Decision
By: New Zealand Principals Federation
Hurry up and wait! There’s a "climate emergency"
By: ACT New Zealand
Emissions Plan Delay Sensible
By: Business NZ
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media