INDEPENDENT NEWS

Fireworks claim part of Palmerston North house

Published: Wed 1 Nov 2006 05:25 PM
Fireworks claim part of Palmerston North house
November 1, 2006
Firefighters in Palmerston North attended a house fire caused by fireworks this afternoon.
The occupants called 111 at 2.30pm, after one or more fireworks were set alight on the upper storey of the Awapuni home.
Firefighters arrived within five minutes, and spent about one-and-a-half hours at the scene.
A firefighter who attended the fire said the second storey of the house was significantly smoke damaged and the bedroom where the fire started was “gutted”.
The exact circumstances of the fire are still being investigated, but the fire is not being treated as arson.
Firefighters have praised the occupants for actions which limited the damage to the house, including closing doors to starve the fire of oxygen and calling 111 quickly.
Everyone was evacuated safely before the Fire Service arrived.
This is the second time this month that a Manawatu home has been damaged by fireworks after a firework was thrown through the window of a house in Feilding at the weekend.
After the first five days of the Guy Fawkes sale period there were 550 fires nationwide. A normal five-day period in October would see about 300 fires.
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

Public Input Sought To Inform Privacy Rules For Biometrics
By: Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Food Prices Climb Taking Kiwis Backwards
By: New Zealand National Party
Have Your Say On The Future Of Inter-regional Passenger Rail In New Zealand
By: Transport and Infrastructure Committee
Creating Sustainable Public Transport For All
By: New Zealand Government
Tax Break To Boost Long-term Rental Supply
By: New Zealand Government
NZ Migrant Arrivals Hit Lowest Mark Since 1990s
By: New Zealand National Party
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media