INDEPENDENT NEWS

Helpline deserves assurances

Published: Thu 15 Dec 2011 10:25 AM
Carmel Sepuloni
Spokesperson for Victims Rights
15 December 2011
Helpline deserves assurances
A sexual abuse helpline in Auckland could be forced to close next month despite Social Development Minister Paula Bennett being warned that funding was exhausted, says Labour’s spokesperson for Victims Rights Carmel Sepuloni.
“The lack of commitment to fund the service demonstrates a blatant disregard by National for victims of sexual abuse and of their safety and wellbeing,” Carmel Sepuloni said.
“The 24/7 Auckland Sexual Abuse Helpline, which takes over 10,000 calls per year, was promised in 2009 by Simon Power, that sustainable funding would be allocated. Two years on, the helpline is still waiting for that funding so it can continue to offer a valuable service.
“Last year New Zealanders suffered a 12.4 per cent increase in sexual violence. This service is necessary and unique, but unfortunately it is being neglected by this government.
“The organisation’s management wrote to Paula Bennett in October this year outlining their concerns over the lack of funding and the absence of the government’s promised ‘long-term solution.
“Paula Bennett took more than a month to respond, initially passing the buck to the Ministry of Health, and then citing ‘diary pressures’ as an excuse to side-line the issue. Now, the Minister is reported to have asked an advisory panel to report back in June on all sexual abuse services.
“This is just another stalling mechanism. Paula Bennett is an MP based in Auckland. She is the spokesperson for Social Development,” Carmel Sepuloni said.
“These are issues central to her position in Parliament, and for which she is directly responsible. While an advisory panel might resemble progress, we cannot mistake motion for movement in such a vital area as victims’ rights.
“Today I have called on Auckland-based MPs from across the political spectrum to work constructively to ensure this service remains operational and resourced,” Carmel Sepuloni said.
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

Statement From Police Commissioner Mike Bush Following Guilty Pleas In Operation Deans Prosecution
By: New Zealand Police
Nation Steps Up To COVID-19 Alert Level 2
By: New Zealand Government
Cabinet Approves Business Continuity Package In Response To COVID-19
By: New Zealand Government
Record transport investment in Draft GPS 2021
By: New Zealand Government
On The Loss Of Abortion Safe Zones
By: Gordon Campbell
On The Oil Price Smackdown, And On National’s Fatuous Crusade Against Red Tape
By: Gordon Campbell
Predator Free 2050 Strategy - Expert Reaction
By: Science Media Centre
Land, Air And Sea: Regions To Benefit From NZ Upgrade
By: New Zealand Government
Statement On Guilty Plea Of March 15 Terrorist
By: New Zealand Government
Christchurch mosque attacks: Gunman pleads guilty to all charges
By: RNZ
PM on mosque attacks anniversary: 'A year on gives us a chance as a nation to reflect'
By: RNZ
Dunne Speaks: Nothing Much Has Changed Since March 15
By: Peter Dunne
Statement On Guilty Plea
By: Royal Commission of Inquiry into Attack on ChCh
Guilty Plea By Accused In Christchurch Mosque Attacks
By: Islamic Women's Council of New Zealand
Life In Prison Looms For Australia's Christchurch Gunman, Now NZ's First Convicted Terrorist
By: The Conversation
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media