Monday, 20 November 2006
Copeland supports driving cell phone ban
United Future MP Gordon Copeland today reaffirmed his party’s support for a ban on handheld cell phones whilst driving a
He was commenting on recent Transport Ministry figures showing that distractions caused by cell phones resulted in 79
crashes last year, 7 of them fatal.
“These crashes and fatalities could be eliminated by a simply ban on handheld cell phones and other communication
devices whilst driving,” said Mr Copeland.
“However, assuming he is quoted correctly, I have a little difference with Transport Safety Minister, Harry Duynhoven,
in relation to hands-free devices.
"It appears he wishes to ban those also but, by way of contrast, I see handsfree devices as a workable solution which
will enable marketing reps and the like to stay in contact with their clients whilst driving.”
Mr Copeland also expressed his concern at the number of “near misses” resulting from cell phone use whilst driving.
“I have no doubt that the crash figures would be much higher but for the alertness and swift reaction from those drivers
who keep both hands on the steering wheel,” said Mr Copeland.