Wednesday, 24 November 2004
Alexander: Parole decision weak
A murderer who admitted that he killed an elderly couple simply to watch somebody die has had his parole bid declined,
“but unfortunately he hasn’t been barred from reapplying for three years”, United Future’s Marc Alexander said today.
“The decision to refuse to release Gresham Kirsten Leith Marsh was obviously the right in that it keeps him behind bars
where he won’t be able to create a new crime statistic,” Mr Alexander, United Future’s law and order spokesman, said.
”The problem is he can reapply next year when the Parole Board could have put his next hearing three year away”
Marsh, with the help of Leith Ray, killed an elderly couple and told police that he simply wanted to watch someone die.
The Parole Board heard the case last week and the families have just been informed of the decision.
“That fact alone should have been enough to convince the Parole Board that he should never be let out. But if they
needed more …they could have reflected on the reality of his 60 previous convictions!
“I was at the parole hearing and made a plea alongside not only the victim’s family, but Marsh’s own family. These are
the people who know him best and if they are convinced Marsh will kill again, what does the Parole Board know that they
don’t? It was a pretty clear case for the three-year rule to apply,” he said.
Mr Alexander said both families were frustrated that Marsh was allowed a transcript of their contribution to the
hearing, but they were not allowed a transcript of his.
“Victims and their families at the very least should have an automatic right to a copy of the transcript or is this one
more instance of favouring of the criminal?
“In 12 months time we will all need to come back and argue our points all over again and the victims will have to relive
it once again.
“The Parole Board had an opportunity to give some time for the families to heal. They blew it!” Mr Alexander said.