02 December 2003
New Zealand First youth affairs spokesperson, Craig McNair is calling on the Government to implement his party’s youth
policy on drugs after a 23-year-old male and his 15-year-old male friend were found dead in a Glen Innes garage.
The Police believe the deaths were, yet again, from inhaling fumes from aerosol cans.
“We are being plagued with tragic deaths of our young people due to them inhaling noxious fumes,” said Mr McNair.
In August fifteen year old Joe Stanley collapsed after inhaling an aerosol can of butane gas and less than three weeks
ago Naomi Dobier, aged 16 died from inhaling a can of air freshener.
“What is being done to protect our children who are our future?” said Mr McNair.
“New Zealand First wants to educate our young people to say no to drugs by widening their range of options to help them
reach their potential.
“This will require a coordinated community response, comprehensive drug education, Police provided with the resources
and the powers to bust the gangs and close down the labs, and treatment to halt recidivism. Such a programme is vital
for the future of our youth and the future of New Zealand,” said Mr McNair.