INDEPENDENT NEWS

Government Avoids Facts On Work-For-Dole Scheme

Published: Fri 17 Nov 2000 08:40 AM
The Government’s latest efforts to damn the work-for-dole scheme are simply an attempt to mask the fact that the planned scrapping of the scheme is ideologically and not factually driven, ACT Employment Spokesman Dr Muriel Newman said.
“ACT has asked a number of Parliamentary questions about this scheme. We know that of the people who left the work-for-dole scheme in September last year only 44 percent were still on a benefit six months later.
“In addition, over half of those people who had left, had found some sort of work or gone on to training.
“By contrast some 52 percent of those completing the other major programme, the Training Opportunities Scheme (TOPS), over the same period, were still on a benefit.
“The facts speak for themselves. The Government, to try and appease those offended about the idea of working for the dole, is proposing to scrap a scheme that works better than favoured alternatives. This Government is ignoring the importance of creating a work ethic.
“It is this kind of approach that has seen the numbers of those registered unemployed for more than a year rise to more than 108,511 from 88,876 while this Government has been in office.
“The new attempt to discredit the most successful programme to assist the unemployed into work is despicable,” Dr Newman said.
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

On Whether This Election Is Already A Foregone Conclusion
By: Gordon Campbell
Newshub-Reid Research Poll Shows National Rising But Labour Still Governing Alone
By: Mediaworks
SFO Files Charges In Relation To NZ First Foundation Donations
By: Serious Fraud Office
Business Leaders’ Confidence Tanks As Top Kiwi CEOs Vent Their Frustrations
By: New Zealand Media and Entertainment
Taking Action To Reduce Waste And Plastics
By: New Zealand Labour Party
On Last Night’s Leaders Debate
By: Gordon Campbell
Dunne Speaks: The Election Campaign Just Grinds Slowly On And On
By: Peter Dunne
Electoral Commission: Candidate And Party Lists Released
By: Electoral Commission
National Releases Its Plan To Restore NZ’s Prosperity
By: New Zealand National Party
The 2020 New Zealand Election Is Not A Foregone Conclusion.
By: Keith Rankin
Overseas Voting Starts On Wednesday
By: Electoral Commission
Politicians To Go Head To Head On Education Issues In Election Debate
By: NZEI Te Riu Roa
New Zealand First Fully Exonerated Of All SFO Charges
By: New Zealand First Party
Links to two judgments in the SFO's NZ First Foundation case
By: New Zealand High Court
Green Party Responds To NZ First Foundation SFO Charges
By: Green Party
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media