Paraphrased answers to today's questions will be posted to the Scoops wire shortly after 3pm.
QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER
Thursday, 19 October 2000
Questions to Ministers
1. NANDOR TANCZOS to the Minister of Corrections: Can he confirm that the selection of a physically inappropriate site
has contributed to the reported doubling of the cost of the new Ngawha prison to $80 million?
2. Hon BILL ENGLISH to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: What effect will the current round of price
increases have on the purchasing power of welfare benefits?
3. TAITO PHILLIP FIELD to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: What is his reaction to recent reports that
indicate social organisations are positive about social policy initiatives under the Labour/Alliance Government?
4. Hon GEORGINA TE HEUHEU to the Minister of Maori Affairs: Does he support the position of the Hon Paul Swain and the
Rt Hon Helen Clark that whatever the Waitangi Tribunal says, it won't affect Government ownership of petroleum resources
in New Zealand?
5. KEVIN CAMPBELL to the Minister of Corrections: What consideration is being given to the possible use of home
detention for inmates released at the end of their custodial sentence?
6. Hon TONY RYALL to the Minister of Corrections: What impact would a policy of allowing part-time prisoners have on
the number of prison beds required?
7. RON MARK to the Minister of Conservation: Does she condone the dumping of 22 tonnes of deadly 1080 poison bait at
the Chesterfield site on the West Coast by the Department of Conservation?
8. Hon ROGER SOWRY to the Minister for Economic Development: Did he approve one of his policy advisers appearing at the
Health Committee yesterday to present an Alliance party submission that raised concerns of cost blowouts in the
Government's health reforms?
9. GEORGINA BEYER to the Minister of Agriculture: What recent reports has he received on the positive outlook for the
rural sector in New Zealand?
10. STEPHEN FRANKS to the Minister of Corrections: Can he reassure New Zealanders that expanding the use of home
detention is an appropriate response to the call to get tough on crime?
11. H V ROSS ROBERTSON to the Minister of Commerce: What are the Government's plans to reduce compliance costs for
12. Hon MAX BRADFORD to the Minister for Industry and Regional Development: What progress has been made on implementing
the Government's industry development policy?