Paraphrased answers will be posted in the Scoops wire shortly after 3pm.
QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER
Thursday, 21 September 2000
Questions to Ministers
1. Rt Hon JENNY SHIPLEY to the Minister of Immigration: What impact will the Government's amnesty for illegal
overstayers in New Zealand have on the objective of a common border and harmonised immigration policies with Australia?
2. ROD DONALD to the Minister for Trade Negotiations: Given his statements on National Radio that "obviously I was ill
informed then" because "floating the dollar didn't work as I expected it to", how can he assure the House that he is not
equally ill informed about any cultural, social, environmental and economic costs of the Singapore free trade agreement?
3. Hon MARIE HASLER to the Minister of Consumer Affairs: What monitoring of price increases is occurring by her
ministry given the growing pressure on prices as a result of the falling New Zealand dollar?
4. MAHARA OKEROA to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: What is the Government doing to implement
recommendations of the report of the Commissioner for Children on the investigation into the death of James Whakaruru?
5. Dr MURIEL NEWMAN to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: What are the trends, and what progress has the
Government made, on closing the gaps between Maori and non-Maori in terms of levels of employment, income, and education
6. GRAHAM KELLY to the Minister of Labour: What reports has she received on employer reactions to the new employment
7. BOB SIMCOCK to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: Can he explain why it was a "no-brainer" to ban the
Child, Youth and Family Service's chief social worker from attending a conference where he could speak and listen to
general practitioners, paediatricians, social workers and educators on child protection issues?
8. GRANT GILLON to the Minister for Economic Development: What reports has he received about business attitudes to
investment in New Zealand?
9. WARREN KYD to the Minister of Corrections: Does the Government intend to build the Auckland men's regional prison in
Manurewa; if not, why not?
10. PETER BROWN to the Minister of Revenue: Will the tax review committee be considering a tax regime to encourage the
establishment and development of a New Zealand international merchant shipping fleet?
11. Hon MURRAY McCULLY to the Minister assisting the Prime Minister on Auckland Issues: In view of her commitment in
relation to the Auckland region's request for $35 million towards the purchase of the Tranz Rail corridor that she was
"really happy to go and argue for that", what recent successes is she able to report?
12. DAMIEN O'CONNOR to the Minister of Agriculture: What is the Government doing to help beekeepers whose business
income is severely affected because their hives have been infested with the varroa mite?