Make Maori Compulsory – Petrol Price Falls – Olympic Doping – Trapped Trampers – Kiwis Kill Militiaman
- MAKE MAORI COMPULSORY: Primary teachers want Maori to become compulsory in schools. The Teachers’ Union, the
Educational Institute, also called for all teachers to be fluent in Maori at its annual conference yesterday.
- PETROL PRICE FALLS: Petrol fell three cents a litre yesterday, but diesel prices remained unchanged, with a warning
that truckers may even see a price rise.
- OLYMPIC DOPING: Doping took centre stage at the Olympics yesterday, with revelations US shot-putter CJ Hunter tested
positive for nandrolone, and gold medal winning Romanian gymnast Andreea Raducan was stripped of her individual medal
for testing positive to pseudo-ephedrine, an ingredient in cold medicine.
- TRAPPED TRAMPERS: Ten alpine rescuers and three exhausted trampers were forced to spend another freezing night in the
Kaimanawa Forest Park last night after a blizzard made a rescue mission impossible.
- KIWIS KILL MILITIAMAN: New Zealand soldiers in East Timor killed a militiaman during a gun battle yesterday, the army
said last night.
Inside Political Headlines:
- More defence officers quitting;
- Joint NZ-Aussie defence force floated by Clark;
- Dog disease testing continues;
- Anderton not told about SOEs special dividend;
- Women’s magazine story a fairytale – Samuel;
- Patients told to stay home;
- Hail the ambassador.
Editorial: Getting the policy right.